Point&Shoot cams vs Mobile Phone cams - interesting opinion/news article...

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by TraamisVOS, Jan 14, 2012.

1. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    ...written by a major circulation newspaper photographer. I thought it was an interesting read. What does the Serious Compacts community think?

"I can imagine mobile photography demolishing the point-and-shoot camera entirely and even pushing into the professional field, eventually."

Link to article: Digital Cameras | Photography

2. flysurfer

flysurfer SC Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2011
    Sure, Polariod already announced the first camera with Android at CES. In a few years, plenty of cameras will run on Android or iOS or similar systems. It's part of the game: cameras with great UI and a built-in app store. You want additional features? There's an app for that. No need to beg for firmware upgrades. Camera makers will deliver the hardware and basic package, third-party companies will deliver the rest. For a fee, of course. You want that new ultrafast AF package for sports photography on your Nikon D6? Download it from the Nikon app store! I'll be reality, just give it a few years.

3. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    I think with P&S cams heading towards larger and larger sensor sizes, mobile phone cams of tomorrow might very well be today's (or yesterday morning's) P&S.