1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pork Pie Hat Man

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by Petach, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Petach

Petach SC All-Pro

Oct 22, 2011
    UK, Essex
    Peter Tachauer
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Love it. D'you read The Chap by any chance? Available by subscription, in all good newsagents and WH Smiths...

3. rayvonn

rayvonn SC Veteran

Jan 19, 2015
    Good on you for engaging with the subject before shooting as well, I may well have tried to get away with a candid one.

4. Petach

Petach SC All-Pro

Oct 22, 2011
    UK, Essex
    Peter Tachauer
    But of course, the chap..........he was a chap indeed. You put the finger right on the button. Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  5. Petach

Petach SC All-Pro

Oct 22, 2011
    UK, Essex
    Peter Tachauer
    He kept looking in my direction. I expect he was wondering why I had 4 cameras on the table in front of me (Sony RX100M3, Ricoh GRii, Fuji X100T and X-T1)
    cheers

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Really good point. I've written in the past about photographic invisibility. I'm a firm believer in the fact that it is how you behave that draws attention, not what you are holding, and certainly not the brand (I am not a logo taper). I suspect your body language was open and approachable; the cameras were the icing on the cake.

Douglas Adams, he of the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy fame, postulated that although invisibility per se was a practical impossibility an SEP Field would have the desired effect. "SEP" stands for Someone Else's Problem and I can confirm that it works. Note how people do not look at Big Issue sellers, beggars, chuggers, street sweepers, or anyone with a clipboard? Combine SEP with Assumed Authority (projecting an air of absolute right to be somewhere) and you have rendered yourself effectively "invisible". I have in the past donned a hi-vis vest and shot Street with a big SLR to my heart's content without being bothered or even paid much attention. I was highly visible, but not noticeable...

Just a thought for the day ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. rayvonn

rayvonn SC Veteran

Jan 19, 2015
    Brilliant.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1