Portraits, any camera, any color, any subject

STURBRIDGE-2K5-VOL1-09.jpg

Very nice, Pavel. Would you care to share your post process workflow? I also occasionally use a DSLR for scanning negatives, but have a difficult time getting the colours right. Your's looks perfect!

Cheers,

Antonio

Antonio, thanks! My workflow is actually pretty simple, I use clear parts of the film as a white balance target in Lightroom to cancel out the red mask. Then I invert the picture by modifying the tone curve:

Screen Shot 2016-01-06 at 00.56.18.png

After that, it's pretty simple. The only difficulty is that after inverting the picture, every damn slider in Lightroom does the opposite of what it should do. For example, if you want to make the picture darker, you should move the Exposure slider to the right which is a bit counterintuitive.

Also I have discovered that I really have to use either daylight or a flash if I want to get the colors right. I tried to use a white LED panel for backlighting the film and the results were horrible, possibly because the LED spectrum is not continuous.

Last edited:
No, the laptop is there only for the light. I'm using a mobile phone as a remote ;)
Edit: Uh oh, I feel like I should shoot myself again. It took me this long to get that joke :doh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back