1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Possum.

Discussion in 'Nature' started by TraamisVOS, Jan 12, 2013.

1. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    There's been some very hot days this summer.

I have a 4 foot aquarium next to my couch along the wall. I was sitting on the couch a few nights ago watching TV when I heard a tiny sneeze. I turned around and there was a little baby/juvenile possum perched on top of my aquarium drinking the water.

8361474924_a43bb6a33e_z.

After taking a few shots with my camera, I looked up the internet and found out that they can be fed apples amongst other things, so my girlfriend cut a piece and I gingerly handed it to the possum, half expecting it to bite off my fingers. It started licking the apple, then it licked my finger, and then it climbed on my hand and ate the apple. My girlfriend snapped the following shots:

8360425875_6be3697f19_z.

It was very hungry.

8360407401_6a47fbf5d8_z.

8361468260_db3b34bcb1_z.

And then, after it finished eating, it curled up and went to sleep in my hand. For a wild animal to do this, it must've been extremely thirsty, hungry, and tired.

8360419697_2c2fff1f0f_z.

8361485336_cda28a665e_z.

We wrapped it up in an old towel and placed it in a padded ice cream tub, and I placed the tub on the night stand next to the bed.

But my cat woke me up before sunrise to tell me that the ice cream tub had fallen off at some point. We searched all over the house, no sign of the possum. All we can do is hope that it found its family again or is otherwise ok up in the trees somewhere in the suburb.

• Like Like x 13
  2. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    That is a good looking, cute possum. They can be domesticated. The opossums we have here, I believe, are the only marsupials in North America. They are vey ugly, scary ugly with long hairless snouts and tails.

Gary

3. TraamisVOS

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
  5. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Oh, that North American species look a lot less friendly and trusting than your little guy James.

Barrie

6. TraamisVOS

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    I think it was friendly and trusting because we didn't try to feed it with cat food.

7. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    +1 ...

8. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    James, I just love this story, and the photographs. Baby must have fallen from mother, or perhaps mother died in the heat, seems like it was prepared to have you as Mum. Cats and possums arent good friends, sadly.

9. TraamisVOS

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    My cat has brought home lost baby birds before for me, unharmed. I think he may have found this little thing and brought it home too. My cat was behaving a little strangely in a non-aggressive way before I realised there was a possum in the house.

10. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

To be fair they only get scary ugly after they grow up, they're actually pretty cute when young.

11. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    That looks a lot different than what I see around here in bama. I'm guessing a different species here in n.a.

12. TraamisVOS

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    • Like Like x 1
  13. TraamisVOS

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    Australia as a continent was isolated by the ocean a very long time ago with no predatory species for the marsupials that lived here. So they were able to evolve into a variety of species here without being hunted into extinction, and also evolved quite differently from marsupials in other continents. So that's why we have the koala here, the kangaroo, and platypus, amongst others.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Crsnydertx

Crsnydertx SC Top Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
  15. TraamisVOS

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    Yes, your possums are Irish.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    So adorable!

17. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    lol

18. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
    More like this please! Hope he's okay. Those American opossums are pretty unpleasant looking.

• Like Like x 1
  19. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Opossums are like big rats without the good features. You only need one to make a pie, however.

• Like Like x 2
  20. TraamisVOS

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    Man, I haven't a good thing about the O'Possum's demeanour in this thread. Is it really that mean by default?