Possum.

I have seen your North American cats, I think they're a misunderstood species. Mainly because I think they're actually opossums.

http://www.blogcdn.com/blog.moviefone.com/media/2010/11/cdn.jpg

:laugh1:

OK, now back to reality - James that is The Cutest little possum in the world! And thank you for the history lessons regarding our different species.

So you're sure your cat wouldn't have eaten that cutie pie? What about Keesha - perhaps they're nestled together?

Man, I haven't a good thing about the O'Possum's demeanour in this thread. Is it really that mean by default?

I have Opossums all the time. They're nocturnal and love to dine on the fruits and veggies in the backyard. Cookie, (aka The Cook, our spoiled, but deservedly so by my measure, Wheaten Terrier), loves to tree them or corner them in the yard. They are, by any standard, ugly. When treed they snarl with huge bared teeth, black beady eyes staring back at you from a long snouted skull of a head. On the ground they tend to play 'possum', laying still and silent but keeping this evil snarl on their lips with their teeth exposed, reflecting in the beam of a flashlight. I have read of people who keep Opossums as pets, but I rank those those people up there with the Cat Lady living down the block in the dark, unkept house, the house with the paint peeling off the front porch.

_1090028.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The Cook lookin' for 'possums.

Gary

PS- Opossums are more stupid than mean. Often, their inherit stupidity short-circuits an otherwise easy retreat, rendering nighttime confrontations inevitable. So now you have to deal with this skull-snarling, semi-hairless, 30+ pound creature who refuses to escape. A real pita. The Opossums around here get to be the size of a smallish, medium-size dog. We also have raccoons who fish for the Koi and damage the swing-sets and backyard toys when they play with them.
G

:laugh1:

OK, now back to reality - James that is The Cutest little possum in the world! And thank you for the history lessons regarding our different species.

So you're sure your cat wouldn't have eaten that cutie pie? What about Keesha - perhaps they're nestled together?

Nah, Jadey doesn't catch things usually, and if Atom caught something he wouldn't have hid it somewhere. If Keesha was harbouring a stowaway I would've picked any suspicious comings and goings.

I hope the little possum is alright.

How do raccoons damage a whole swing set built according to federal safety standards to withstand wear and tear from little human children???

They have claws and teeth and they know how to use them. Those banded hooligans have played on my swings and slides then destroyed all the plastic/soft parts (I have seen them slide with my own eyes.) Albeit there isn't a lot of soft parts on a swing set, but a swing with no seat is like a day without sunshine. All the balls have been punctured and the nerf of the Nerf bats have been bitten down to the core. The Opossums are too plain dumb to play and destroy stuff, seemingly without reason. I am convinced the raccoons wear those masks to escape being fingered in a police line-up. Hooligans I tell you. Now don't get me started on those damn Peacocks.

They have claws and teeth and they know how to use them. Those banded hooligans have played on my swings and slides then destroyed all the plastic/soft parts (I have seen them slide with my own eyes.) Albeit there isn't a lot of soft parts on a swing set, but a swing with no seat is like a day without sunshine. All the balls have been punctured and the nerf of the Nerf bats have been bitten down to the core. The Opossums are too plain dumb to play and destroy stuff, seemingly without reason. I am convinced the raccoons wear those masks to escape being fingered in a police line-up. Hooligans I tell you. Now don't get me started on those damn Peacocks.

I wonder if this is what David Attenborough sounds like as soon as the cameras are switched off.

http://youonlyliveonce.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/David-Agttenborough_D.jpg

"Now don't get me started on those damn Peacocks" - 'Gary Attenborough', the lesser known Attenborough brother.

I didn't know raccoons could be so (i) destructive and (ii) playful. It's a sign of intelligence when animals take time off to play.

The destructiveness, I think, was due to just playing rough. But they did climb all over the swing set and actually traveled down the slide ... repeatedly. They also seemed appreciative for the Koi in the pond.

G

Gary: I laughed all the way through this text. Have you thought of doing a series about unsympathetic creatures?

I have Opossums all the time. They're nocturnal and love to dine on the fruits and veggies in the backyard. Cookie, (aka The Cook, our spoiled, but deservedly so by my measure, Wheaten Terrier), loves to tree them or corner them in the yard. They are, by any standard, ugly. When treed they snarl with huge bared teeth, black beady eyes staring back at you from a long snouted skull of a head. On the ground they tend to play 'possum', laying still and silent but keeping this evil snarl on their lips with their teeth exposed, reflecting in the beam of a flashlight. I have read of people who keep Opossums as pets, but I rank those those people up there with the Cat Lady living down the block in the dark, unkept house, the house with the paint peeling off the front porch.

The Cook lookin' for 'possums.

Gary

PS- Opossums are more stupid than mean. Often, their inherit stupidity short-circuits an otherwise easy retreat, rendering nighttime confrontations inevitable. So now you have to deal with this skull-snarling, semi-hairless, 30+ pound creature who refuses to escape. A real pita. The Opossums around here get to be the size of a smallish, medium-size dog. We also have raccoons who fish for the Koi and damage the swing-sets and backyard toys when they play with them.
G

Gary: I laughed all the way through this text. Have you thought of doing a series about unsympathetic creatures?

LOL ... at the top of the list would be Peacocks, Peahens and their youngsters. They enjoy walking down the middle of the street like a parade or procession, in their eyes you can read this smugness of narcissism ... a look clearly stating "I am a Peacock and you're not" ... if you honk, they stop and stare. The Peacock is an early riser and crows like a rooster, a high pitched sound, a single voice of a screaming toddler combined with a cat being pumpled by a car. Fortunately, for the Peacocks, I've moved to a quieter neighborhood.

G

IMG_9920a001-L.jpg

Can't say anything about peacocks around here. I've only seen them in the zoo. However, the Canadian geese at many of the local ponds are aweful. They'll walk in the middle of the road and won't move at all, no matter how close a car gets to hitting them.

Peacocks do seem to elicit strong feelings. As for geese; my father, so the story goes, hit a goose in the road on his way to court my mother, who lived down narrow, country lanes. When he got out of the car to see if he could help the poor creature, the entire flock threatened him with stretched necks and goose hisses. He high-tailed it out of there without further concern for geese in the way.

The poor man also met a possum in the garage when I was a teenager. Scared the wits out of him before he realized what it was, then it pissed him off.

Then there was the time..... my poor dad didn't do well with undomesticated animals.

Nice peacock shot, Gary; one could believe from it that you actually like them!

Can't say anything about peacocks around here. I've only seen them in the zoo. However, the Canadian geese at many of the local ponds are aweful. They'll walk in the middle of the road and won't move at all, no matter how close a car gets to hitting them.

They probably learned that behavior from Peacocks.

Peacocks do seem to elicit strong feelings. As for geese; my father, so the story goes, hit a goose in the road on his way to court my mother, who lived down narrow, country lanes. When he got out of the car to see if he could help the poor creature, the entire flock threatened him with stretched necks and goose hisses. He high-tailed it out of there without further concern for geese in the way.

The poor man also met a possum in the garage when I was a teenager. Scared the wits out of him before he realized what it was, then it pissed him off.

Then there was the time..... my poor dad didn't do well with undomesticated animals.

Nice peacock shot, Gary; one could believe from it that you actually like them!

DPP-03-XL.jpg

Back