Micro 4/3 Pro level Ol - Video leaked: NEW OM-DM-E1

The design looks too busy, unlike the beautiful E-M5. But, it's not the most important part of a camera and I'm sure Olympus will have a winner with this one. The mobile app looks good as well.

yup, it hasn't gotten any prettier, but it does seem like a great option for pros. The demonstration of the 5-axis IBIS was pretty cool (even though it only challenged one axis).

I like what I see and THATS what Olympus should be doing... not another PEN, lol. Sorry, but the E-P5 completely underwhelmed me as just an iteration of what they were already doing rather than something innovative.

This body now which brings together that exceptional 4/3 glass along with a lot of other improvements is more like what I think of Olympus as: a technical innovator. I'm tired of the "aren't we pretty" stuff.

but why can't it be good-looking AND innovative?

To me it IS good looking. Functional isn't always going to be pretty. I submit that functional aesthetics have a whole different reference point than "fashionably" pretty.

Good looking to me is -- "wow, that looks good and usable and practical to hold ..." and so forth.

Wow. It looks like Olympus saw my personal complaints about the E-M5 and took great pains to solve those problems :eek: Looks like a great camera:

- its size is reasonable, but it has a very generous grip

- the rear dial has moved to the right so I won't stick my thumb into my right eye trying to turn it when looking through the EVF

- the location of the buttons looks far more sensible than before

Hmmmm... :hail:

From rumors, sensor is the same 16MP OMD/e-p5/e-pl5 sensor but AA'less as the new trend with every camera release. If I owned 43 lenses, it could be a nice camera. However with current availability & size of m43 lenses and at the price of rumored $1500, it does not attract me as a m43 owner. It is more for neglected 43 owners to catch up w/ m43 sensors... However if the af speed is good, it will open faster speeds with Sony sensors/cameras as Sony is removing the mirrors from its dlsr's. That is more interesting for me...

There was a comment that they might remove the movie as they found it by google search. More on m43 rumors:
(FT5) Olympus E-M1 gets leaked!!! | 43 Rumors

Don't know why, but the upper link does not work for me :-( So I found pictures instead:

Olympus OM-D E-M1 detailed pictures leaked! - Blog for mirrorless and premium compact cameras

To me it isn't really pretty, but looks pretty functional :)

Apparently the video got yanked...it looks like there will be two new OM-D cameras, one a successor to the EM-5 and this one, which will be bigger. I like that plan - I prefer the EM-5 body size to this one, but others are going to feel differently.

Copied engadget video on youtube:

Here is the description of main buttons & the specs from photorumors:
Olympus-E-M1-camera-description.png

Olympus E-M1 specifications:

New DSLR type grip
16MP sensor
81 AF target points
10 fps
Built-in Wi-Fi
Flash sync speed: 1/320s
ISO range: 200-25600
Shutter speed: 1/8000s-60s
3" tiltable TFT LCD touch screen
EVF with 2,360,000 pixels
Micro Four Thirds mount only (not a hybrid mount)
Weight: 430g | 0.9Ib
Dimensions (WxHxD): 122mm × 68mm × 37mm | 4.8" × 2.7" × 1.5"

Thabks Serhan for capturing the video... The only thing I gotta say is.... Just "another DSLR" camera... :-(

Let's wait and see how it works now.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SeriousCompacts mobile app

that clip is quite funny...especially as I'm not one to use those products. But I'm quite serious. I understand John's point. It's the old argument about it being a tool, not a fashion accessory. I think that is just one man's opinion and not a fact written in stone. For me, a camera has to be good-looking. Not functionally attractive.....although hopefully it should be that as well. But if I don't love the way my camera looks, I may not be inspired to use it as often.

I have a modern up to date Hyundai. It gets decent mileage, has leather seats and is totally reliable (not horribly ugly, but I don't LOVE it). I have the old 1970 Buick station wagon. The paint is old and faded, it absolutely guzzles gas (the guy who owns the gas station send me thank you notes every week). It needs some work done on it, but when it's running right, I will use it every time instead of the tool that is better at it's job (the Hyundai).

That is just the way I feel and it's not anymore or less correct than John's point of view. His is more sensible, maybe. But it doesn't make the way I feel about that decision to be wrong.

Ah, I confused it with EP5, sorry.

Ah, that would be a quick death even for digital.

Huff seems excited. I tend to think "pro" cameras are not so much a revolution as a combination of most/all aspects of a camera becoming high quality. I just hope the dials don't fall off. If you depend on your camera for a living you need goo capabilities but you can't have weaknesses.

Back