Micro 4/3 Pro level Ol - Video leaked: NEW OM-DM-E1

Micro 4/3 is doomed! Dooooooomed!!!

Everything digital is doooomed!!! At least the sooner or later. All what matters is the lenses. But the good news i that one can hang on for quite some time to the digital bodies as IQ has become "good enough" and spend more money for traveling and quality optics. Improvements from the EP3 to the OMD were very very substantial. The ones from the OMD to this pro level Oly do no look to be as significant.

Thinking on Huff's puff...

Definitely a change from the very OM style of the E-M5, but then as Steve says, it is the body has basically same depth except for the grip- which presumably will house a bigger battery for more shots.

Has nice big VF - bigger than most DSLRs - all the better to see the 2MP screen with.

Fixed LCD - but then if you want weather-proof and "freeze" proof construction you gotta eliminate the weak spots. Just hope for some WR, freeze proof lenses to go with it ...

I reckon the the biggy is the phase detect - obviously there to bring-over the 4/3 DSLR owners, but also will this bring any benefit to AF performance for the M43 glass, particularly for continuous AF which may be important for sport shooters and video.

I doubt I'll be getting one any time soon at the rumored price, but then an cheapo, obsolete E-M5 would do me very nicely, so bring it on !:D

Attachments

• leak3.jpg
    leak3.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 272
  • mnt.jpg
    mnt.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 160
lets not forget that "bigger", "better", "more", "brighter", "faster" = more juice = bigger and or more powerful batteries, and though it doesnt say anything about that, not sure if all those extra "steroids" will mean "better performance" we all know that in mirrorless cameras "more" means "worse" battery performance. so lets see. From this video and specs, im really NOT liking this camera. all the "effort" just to go "back" to a "bigger, bulkier, DSLR" design?.

Don't understand the "big" issue ...

lets not forget that "bigger", "better", "more", "brighter", "faster" = more juice = bigger and or more powerful batteries, and though it doesnt say anything about that, not sure if all those extra "steroids" will mean "better performance" we all know that in mirrorless cameras "more" means "worse" battery performance. so lets see. From this video and specs, im really NOT liking this camera. all the "effort" just to go "back" to a "bigger, bulkier, DSLR" design?.

:026:
If you actually look at the images the only significantly bigger component of the new design is the grip - the body dimensions seem virtually identical otherwise to the E-M5.

This is obviously aimed at serious/pro users and bigger legacy glass, so a bit of beefing up is hardly surprising. Also the phase detect and driving the focus on the big 4/3 glass probably needs more juice. Quite logical really for the role it is intended for.
And the beauty of M43 is you can always get an E-P5 or a GX-7 for the more compact form - you've got a clear size choice unlike with a DSLR system.:cool:

The E-M1 looks a little wider than the E-M5 but that appears to be it. When a lens is mounted a forwards-projecting grip doesn't increase the box dimensions of a camera. Ergonomically a DSLR-style design works, which is why DSLRs ended up being that shape in the first place.

The other good news is that sensor-based PDAF hasn't proven to add significant cost when implemented by Nikon, Canon, Samsung, and Sony so it should work it's way into other future Olympus models as well.

For those who follow Ming Thien

he has dropped the hint via twitter that he will be getting an E-M1 to test drive soon - that is definitely something I'll be looking forward to!

Back