Sony Problems with close up video

Unihead

Hi, I'm a new RX100 Mk II user and I seem to be having focussing problems when I'm shooting close up video. I downloaded the Friedman manual but its video advice is pretty limited. The camera just doesn't seem to be able to focus on close up objects, especially when the lens is zoomed in at all, and I'm finding it quite frustrating. Any tips? Is this just a limitation of the camera? Many thanks.

what's the minimum focusing distance?

btw, this was shot with the same camera:

Nice video, but since there are no close up shots in it I fail to see the relevance to my question. I'm trying to do extreme close ups, and the camera seems to be unable to focus on anything closer than about 15cm or so. It's very disappointing. Can anyone advise?

The minimum focus distance zoomed all the way out is about 5 cm, increasing to a good 50+ cm when zoomed all the way in. You'll get the most magnification is you stay zoomed out, not zoomed in. Laws of physics can't be messed with, sadly. If you want closer focus zoomed in you'll need some sort of way to mount a macro lens (dioptre) to the front. I have a few I used underwater, but nothing for dry land and the RX100.

The minimum focus distance zoomed all the way out is about 5 cm, increasing to a good 50+ cm when zoomed all the way in. You'll get the most magnification is you stay zoomed out, not zoomed in. Laws of physics can't be messed with, sadly. If you want closer focus zoomed in you'll need some sort of way to mount a macro lens (dioptre) to the front. I have a few I used underwater, but nothing for dry land and the RX100.

Thanks. Can anyone recommend a macro lens for the rx100 mk2? Could have sworn I got closer shots with my old cheap point and click, but oh well...

That's one downside to the larger sensor - worse close focus.

Astonishing how not one person mentioned that crucial fact in the 20+ reviews I read before buying.

It takes good pictures this camera, but there are some very annoying trade offs...

Back