Processing with Photoshop via Lightroom.

I have LR4 on my PC, but Photoshop CS5 on my Mac. So if I'm working on a raw image file in LR, I don't have the option of simply right-clicking on the image and selecting 'Edit in Photoshop'.

What are my options? Export the image from LR in a high res JPG or TIFF, bring it across to my Mac and then finish it in PS?

I was also thinking, how does PS edit the photo if I right-clicked it over from LR (assuming I had PS on PC), what kind of file does LR send over to PS, and what does PS send back to LR once I go back to LR?

You can legally install LR on your Mac (it's platform agnostic) and have the catalogue on a separate hard drive. Then you could just open LR and use the edit in PS function. Otherwise export as a PSD to a thumbdrive and work on that. Then import to LR upon return. LR sends a 16 bit PSDfile in the Pro Photo space to PS but you can change this in settings.

Gordon

That was incredibly helpful, thanks for that Gordon. You've saved me a lot of hassle.

I could've sworn LR was like CS5, I had to choose whether I wanted the PC or Mac version. I'll have to dig up the box and have another look at it.

Easy to do considering how Adobe usually operates. Two installs not used concurrently. Platform doesn't matter. The new Creative Cloud is the same now. Also LR does not require activation. So just download the latest version (4.6?) that you're elidgible for and stick in your serial number. If you upgraded to V4 you'll also need the previous serial number. But an internet connection isn't required.

i've been running multi-platform for LR for a number of years.

Gordon

If they can do it for LR, why can't they damn well do it for CS5 too?? It would've been awesome if I could install my Mac version on my PC.

I'm afraid of upgrading to LR5 because I would lose my permanent LR4 purchase wouldn't I? I'd have to start paying a monthly fee just to use LR5, is that right?

No. Lightroom remains a standalone product. So you can just purchase a regular upgrade and it comes with a normal perpetual licence. And even if you did go to CC you still keep the licences you have now for LR and Photoshop so they could be reinstalled later. The problem would be the catalogue upgrade.

Lightroom is included in the creative suite as well, but not exclusively.

Back