1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Program to increase the resolution of old photo scans

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by swandy, Nov 11, 2015.

1. swandy

swandy SC Regular

Nov 16, 2013
    Can anyone suggest a good program for a Mac (or a Lightroom plug-in) for increasing the resolution of old photo scans?

Years ago I had purchased a scanner to scan my old 35mm slide collection. The problem is that the resolution of the scans is very small by today's standards and I can no longer find the original slides (moved several times over the years) to have the scans redone on a more modern scanner.

Thanks, Steve

2. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Well, you can resample up in Photoshop. I used that method years ago to upsample file from a 3MP camera so I could make a 20x24 inch print of it. It came out well, but I've not had as much luck with other images. I hate it when the original gets lost. It's why I now scan my 35mm film at 4800 ppi at the original file size into a 16 bit Tiff. It's probably overkill, but at least I'm certain to have the information I need to work with.

With all the technical wizardry out there now there must be something better than upsampling in Photoshop.

3. ajramirez

ajramirez SC All-Pro

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    I have not tried it for scans, but very recently I used Perfect Resize (formerly Genuine Fractals) to upsample some files that ended up being printed at 36" x 48" and 85" x 85" with fantastic results. The Mac version is available in the App Store for about $30.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Perfect Resize from ON1 is the industry standard. A free trial may be available HERE.