Q; How do you share your photos?

wt21

Hall of Famer
I process in LR, and I have a smugmug account.

From LR, I can drag photos to a smugmug folder, then once they are in smugmug, I go to the site, right click to copy the image location and paste into the forum window.

It's kind of tedious.

I never tried Flickr before, but I'm thinking with it's new look, it might be time to try.

I see people have Flickr streams, and they seem to share from there. How does that work? Is it easier than the Smugmug workflow above?

Any help is appreciated. I'd love "one click" from LR to serious compacts, but I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon!

flickr has a button that gives you to code so that you can post a clickable image on a forum (SC requires BBCode, some others require HTML, flickr can give you both). You simply paste the code in the comment field, hit "post" and you're done - a wonderful image on SC, that can be clicked on to take you to the photo on flickr.

I use flickr for storing my photos and am about to discontinue using it for it's social aspect because I no longer like the way photos are displayed there. I will continue to use it now for free for sharing photos here and for having my photos all backed up somewhere else (at no charge). There is a drop down menu where you can select from a few different sizes and cut and paste the code from there to here.....pretty simple.

Do you just do an auto-pub to flickr from LR (or whatever sw you use).

One of my issues is that I naturally trend towards creating sub-folders for everything. I'm thinking I might need to try just a "stream" approach

I use LR4, and have tried the flickr and facebook plugin. There are no "folders" in flickr, but you can assign photos to one or more "sets". I really haven't used the feature much, though (although I do from time to time), because I tend to just export a lot of photos in a local folder, and decide which ones I want to share in facebook and which ones to flickr.

I use Flickr primarily for online file management and display so everything that I upload there is tagged, titled, and sorted into sets individually. Not an especially quick process but I prefer to do it thoroughly.

I use LR4 and use the Flickr option and it works beautifully and simply. You can choose what size, etc., that you want to upload. I would not, however, use this as my only storage place.

Luke, I feel your pain - I don't like the way the photos look with the black background in Flickr but I still use it and think it's the easiest method. I do tag and put things into sets, as you do Luke. Lately I haven't been very active because I'm just too busy with the stuff of life, but I do think Flickr is quite handy. I have a "pro account" and it's very inexpensive.

We've got some old threads on here... I'll see where they are and post a link or bring 'em back up for air.

P.S. flickriver is a great way to send links to people - you can choose a set or just your stream. It's a much more attractive way of viewing, I think. Here's mine - just FYI Flickriver: Photos from BBW: BB Wylie Walden

P.S.S. Hopefully this Advanced Search will work for you... I put Flickr in for Title: Search There are quite a few threads and some are very helpful.

You can still keep paying and you will not have to see ads anymore, but now they offer everyone 1 TB of storage for free so the old advantage of the PRO level is gone, but I think they may very well keep charging you the recurring fee if you don;t actively go somewhere to tell them to stop (but I'm quite uncertain about that and need to look into it myself since I don't plan on hanging out there anymore)

Thanks Luke. I found that link that Paul gave to be very confusing. I should go in and delete 90% of my photos...better do that before they re-up me, though I never chose a recurring payment.

P.S. The thing I do like about it is being able to see other people's photos. Before we moved or started moving...I would really try to keep up. Lately I haven't been able to. I guess that means everyone has to post their photos on SC or FujiXspot or someplace we all know about if we want to stay tuned, so to speak?

P.S. flickriver is a great way to send links to people - you can choose a set or just your stream. It's a much more attractive way of viewing, I think. Here's mine - just FYI Flickriver: Photos from BBW: BB Wylie Walden

BB

Really enjoying your Flickr River. I'm going to have to give that a go.

Love this shot here: Camera Roll-2052 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Actually, love a lot of them, but that one was a nice surprise.

What breed is your puppy? Sheltie or Collie? I didn't see a pic with the pup to show scale.

Aw, thanks! I'm glad you liked that shot - I thought it was quite humorous.

Our dog - now 4 1/2 plus years old is a Sheltie. You know, I think I noticed that you have a Collie? Am I right? I "toyed" with the idea of a Collie but I've had Shelties (at one point 3!) since 1975, so I'm pretty hooked.;) Herding/working dogs are great companions.

Yes, we do have a Collie. People always think she's a Sheltie. But if you see her next to Sheltie, there is quite a size difference. I think people are used to seeing Little Timmy next to Lassie. I hope no one calls your Shelties "mini Collies!" I always cringe when I hear that.

Thanks for the help! I set up Flickr. Flickr: wt2100's Photostream I'll have to play with it for a while, and see how it goes.

I hear you on the "mini Collies" and I often do hear "Little Lassie"! But I don't care as long as they admire my best friend.;)

Oh, good - I'll check your Flickr account and we can be "friends". I've just been reading and trying to understand all the changes...don't really think they'll effect me too much... Unless Paul explains things that make me crazy.:D

Flickriver must have improved their site because I think there was previously a limit to the number of sets that could be accessed when you searched through a user's content. My preference is still slightly in favour of fluidr.com because they also display the image description and basic exif data next to each image (without needing to click the "i" like on flickriver). I find both preferable for viewing streams of images than flickr itself.

I have moved lock stock and barrel from Flickr(RIP) to Ipernity, which looks and feels like Flickr used to with the added bonus of some nice features and a vibrant (and friendly) community. You can embed BBCode on other sites (such as here) from Ipernity as easily as you could from Flickr - easier, in fact, since the changes.

Flickr used to be photographer-friendly, but no more, plus they are now monetising photos for Yahoo's gain by embedding ads in your photos - by directing someone to see your work on Flickr you are now acting as an unpaid billboard for Yahoo - not on my watch.

Sent from another Galaxy

Back