1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Question about video with EX1/TL500

Discussion in 'Samsung Forum' started by bilzmale, Dec 11, 2010.

1. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    I am considering upgrading my TZ5 for this Samsung. I have a question - can you switch video from NTSC to PAL in the menu? In other words should I buy a US or an Asian version as Australia uses PAL? Got caught with my US GH1 which is NTSC - fortunately was able to 'hack' the firmware to give PAL option.

2. Wally Billingham

Wally Billingham SC Regular

Nov 27, 2010
    Laurel, MD
    I just looked at mine, I have the TL500 or the USA version purchased from Amazon.com here in the USA. On the menu under settting there is a NTSC/PAL option for output which is used if you want to hook it up to your TV. The manual says that recorded video is saved as an H.264 (MPEG-4.AVC) file. On the menu on the camera you select 30 or 15 frames per second recording. The 30 frames a second is of course the standard for NTSC there is no option for the 25 frames of PAL.

However I just loaded a short video I made with the camera into Sony Vegas and I can out put it to a PAL DVD.

I hope you find this helpful, I admit I do not know much about PAL.

3. Wally Billingham

Wally Billingham SC Regular

Nov 27, 2010
    Laurel, MD
    you should also know that the video on the TL500 is not HD but is standard def, and as a video camera I find the TL500 to be good for things like quick Youtube videos but it you wanting to shoot a lot of video I would get a dedicated video caemra

4. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Thanks Wally. I have the GH1 for HD video. Local prices here are fairly keen (from HK mainly) so will probably go that route.