Question for the Brits

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by chromatin64, May 7, 2011.

1. chromatin64

chromatin64 SC Veteran

Apr 26, 2011
    A Leekist in York, UK
    If you're selling camera gear, what have you found to be the best way?

eBay? Trade in? Camera fairs? Local newspaper ads? Sumfink else?

Feel free to contribute if you're not a Brit but I'm particularly interested in how my fellow British do it.

• Like Like x 2
  2. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer S.C. Charter Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    I usually just trade mine in. I have sold successfully a few times on mu-43rds forum but I always worry just in case anything were to go wrong with the camera after I sold it!

• Like Like x 2
  3. soundimageplus

soundimageplus SC Top Veteran S.C. Charter Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Ebay. Always. Good prices and protection for seller and buyer if you take care.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Selling camera gear ?... I'm sorry, I don't really understand the question ...

• Like Like x 3
  5. chromatin64

chromatin64 SC Veteran

Apr 26, 2011
    A Leekist in York, UK
    I know, I know. I have quite a bit of Nikon DSLR digital gear that doesn't really get used these days; if I sold it/traded it in, it would make the decision to buy some MFT gear easier. Especially for wifey.

6. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator S.C. Charter Member

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Penny

Penny SC Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    Outside Liverpool Uk
    I sold two cameras on E-bay just before Christmas one went to a dealer no probs my money came through paypal right away but the other went to a private buyer who messed me around; and paypal made me wait for three weeks for money (I didn't actually mind that) but the buyer wouldn't respond to my emails.
    Personally I wouldn't use E-Bay again they're asking for money which they are not entitled too either.
    I have two cameras that I bought through Amazon which I might try to sell on their own market place in the future, otherwise trade-in to a local shop in Liverpool or St Helens.

• Like Like x 1
  8. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Pennayann do you mean eBay are trying to take fees which are more than or not in their terms and conditions?
    In what way?

9. Herman

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    Hey, you're welcome, I'm surprised by this reply, dutch, wow, are you a dutchman living in York?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Not British, but I always sell on eBay (in Australia), but you need to understand the market for the product you're selling.

For example;

Canon and Nikon SLR equipment -> high demand -> auction-only starting at low bid price

Olympus -> lower demand -> start auction at a higher bid price, closer to what you ideally want for the camera

eBay fees can be a pain but I don't think there is a better way to sell a camera for a decent price (in Australia anyway).

• Like Like x 2
  11. chromatin64

chromatin64 SC Veteran

Apr 26, 2011
    A Leekist in York, UK
    No, I'm a Welshman living in York who has in interest in languages. Incidentally, being Welsh means I don't struggle with the Dutch 'g'... :wink:

Thanks for all your comments folks.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Herman

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    Hi Russ, do you just struggle with 'g' or also with 'r'.
    It's always a pleasure to hear my German lady talking to me in dutch/german and find myself answering her in dutch.
    Funny: "Holländische Frikadelle oder eine Frikadelle".
    Oder: "Bellen in dutch, which means anrufen in deutch". (Bellen (deutsch) bedeutet blaffen (dutch)).

• Like Like x 2
  13. chromatin64

chromatin64 SC Veteran

Apr 26, 2011
    A Leekist in York, UK
    Neither Herman - they're second nature to the Welsh; the Welsh language is full of rrrrrrrolled 'r's and soft 'ch's.

• Like Like x 1
  14. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
    and phlegm....

• Like Like x 3
  15. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    [snigger]

• Like Like x 2
  16. chromatin64

chromatin64 SC Veteran

Apr 26, 2011
    A Leekist in York, UK
    I must admit I thought of a few other adjectives than "soft" to describe the 'ch's. Like "throat-clearing".

• Like Like x 1
  17. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Russ, don't pay them any mind! Sean Connery is a Welshman. They're just jealous.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  18. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    Sean Connery? Welsh? Not unless he's defected.

• Like Like x 2
  19. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Well, there you go - wrong again - what do we colonials really know. I see he was grew in Edinburgh! I'm afraid I became confused in my memory with Richard Burton's origins...in South Wales... And he is another heart throb, so forgive me. I must have been swooning as I typed earlier.:wink:

• Like Like x 1