Nikonos V - Quite excited

akulya

Regular
I'm heading down to the south coast this weekend, and had been ruminating over what cameras to bring. Since I've got a wedding to shoot, but am also going to be on holiday, I will bring the m8 along - but really didn't want to take it to the beach...

So...to cut a long story short, I've just bought a Nikonos V

Nikonos-V_img_1851.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(not my photo, its from wikipedia)

In near perfect condition, with a 35/2.5 air or water contact lens. I'm only going to be in the spash zone (well, I might go schnorkelling) but it looks ideal! No idea how it will actually perform, but when I've pushed some film through it - you'll be the first to hear :)

I'd never heard of them before today, but apparently they were quite something one upon a time. Anyway, has anyone here experience with them?

EDIT: (it does look like a serious compact, doesn't it!)

Oh yeah.... That's a great camera. There's a finder available for the lens under water.
Anyway, it's very good and easy to change settings under water. You need the grease on the "O" ring but I never used it in the pool or to about 10'.
I really had a good time in off weather like heavy rain...
Yeah, those were the daze......

I've read that they need a consiencous owner, with a good supply of fresh o-rings and sillicone grease. But given those requirements; are good to go 150' under the ocean. Which is deeper than I ever intend on going.

I'm probably going to be shooting for fun, so neg rather than slide. UK weather is a bit iffy, so prob best stick to 400 film. I'll try tmax and porta and see what happens, but yeah, pretty excited :)

I had one (I suppose I still do somewhere in a cupboard) which I used when snorkelling. It was great fun but you do have to have good O rings properly greased.

I would like to amend my previous 'chioce' of film, because it doesn't look like I have one :(

Should've ordered a batch in advance - all I can get hold of out here is kodak colour 200 24's...

Back