Quite excited

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by akulya, Aug 3, 2011.

1. akulya

akulya SC Veteran

Mar 1, 2011
    I'm heading down to the south coast this weekend, and had been ruminating over what cameras to bring. Since I've got a wedding to shoot, but am also going to be on holiday, I will bring the m8 along - but really didn't want to take it to the beach...

So...to cut a long story short, I've just bought a Nikonos V

(not my photo, its from wikipedia)

In near perfect condition, with a 35/2.5 air or water contact lens. I'm only going to be in the spash zone (well, I might go schnorkelling) but it looks ideal! No idea how it will actually perform, but when I've pushed some film through it - you'll be the first to hear :smile:

I'd never heard of them before today, but apparently they were quite something one upon a time. Anyway, has anyone here experience with them?

EDIT: (it does look like a serious compact, doesn't it!)
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    Oh yeah.... That's a great camera. There's a finder available for the lens under water.
    Anyway, it's very good and easy to change settings under water. You need the grease on the "O" ring but I never used it in the pool or to about 10'.
    I really had a good time in off weather like heavy rain...
    Yeah, those were the daze......
  3. akulya

akulya SC Veteran

Mar 1, 2011
    I've read that they need a consiencous owner, with a good supply of fresh o-rings and sillicone grease. But given those requirements; are good to go 150' under the ocean. Which is deeper than I ever intend on going.

I'm probably going to be shooting for fun, so neg rather than slide. UK weather is a bit iffy, so prob best stick to 400 film. I'll try tmax and porta and see what happens, but yeah, pretty excited :)
  4. kathyh

kathyh SC Top Veteran

Jul 13, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    I had one (I suppose I still do somewhere in a cupboard) which I used when snorkelling. It was great fun but you do have to have good O rings properly greased.
  5. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    Have a wonderful time and report back with pictures from the wedding and the water! Yes, it does indeed look like a serious compact!:biggrin:
  6. akulya

akulya SC Veteran

Mar 1, 2011
    I would like to amend my previous 'chioce' of film, because it doesn't look like I have one :(

Should've ordered a batch in advance - all I can get hold of out here is kodak colour 200 24's...