1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Rainy Streets

Discussion in 'Herman's Genres' started by olli, Oct 17, 2010.

1. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    Way off the beaten track, these were taken in a neighbourhood called Didi Digomi on the edge of Tbilisi. It's an old Soviet era development of apartment buildings, not in the best of shape but a great place to take pictures. I took these on a grey, overcast, wet afternoon. There are some more on my smugmug site and I'll be adding to them over time since I definitely intend to go back and take some more. Thanks for looking.

5089772121_b5e90c5969_b.

• Like Like x 5
  2. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    olli, it surely seems to me that you've captured the feeling of this place very well - please let me know if what I come away with, is the way it seemed to you. One can feel the rain soaked wetness through these images, along with a growing damp coldness... I don't know what it felt like to you, but there seems to be an air of desolation and loneliness. My favorite is your first - the woman with her umbrella, a silhouette, and the dogs trotting towards you - that little black and white one ties it altogether for me visually. Very well done.

• Like Like x 1
  3. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    Thanks. On a grey wet day it does seem very desolate, but despite the relative poverty it's actually quite a nice neighbourhood. People are friendly, kids play on the streets and there are lots of little shops and bakeries tucked in everywhere. Maybe I'll go back on a sunny day and post some colour photographs and you can make a comparison.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Glad to hear your description. I feel much better for the people that live there! Maybe it was that shot by the side of the building...the one with the cart filled with vegetables - and what looks like a headless pig's carcass that got me to me. Those donkeys turned in, the men looking so cold and wet and the dog giving you his glance...which is also a good one, too.

I guess it's too easy to read one's own thoughts into an image.:wink:

Keep them coming olli!