Ricoh Random thought: would you buy a Sigma Foveon Lensor for the GXR system?

wt21

Hall of Famer
Ever since getting my GRDiii, I am in love with Ricoh's controls, and have thought (briefly) about the GXR system. But I love my MFT primes, and don't see much in GXR that I actually want.

I also have toyed with getting a DP camera, but am pretty certain I would go insane with the controls and speed.

Just a random thought popped into my head: would a DP Lensor module for the GXR system be great? I think I'd get that in a heartbeat. Ricoh controls, Sigma Foveon.

Huh, interesting question! I always get intrigued with the the Foveon sensor when I see great images pop up here.

I would probably hold off as I could, with current Sigma pricing, probably get the entire cam from them for the same price as a hypothetical Foveon GXR lensor.

I would be really excited to see a new GXR lensor, though, with a faster lens and better AF speed, especially in low light. It would be great to see a new 35mm, 90-ish, or I would probably even buy an updated 28 or 50mm.

I'd like to try a Foveon sensor in a body not made by Sigma.

I think that is the key point!

BTW it seems to me that will all of the new cameras available these days the Sigma cameras are being left in the dust and I rarely hear them discussed anymore. The Foveon sensor is exceptional, but the cameras themselves are several generations behind at this point.

Just my comments on Sigma

I am thinking about buying a Bigma, well not quite the Bigma, (50 - 500mm), but the almost Bigma, (the 150 500mm)

I have had a few Sigma lens in the past - the only one I still have is the 12 - 24mm for my D300

They always seems to get good reports

But I have never really liked them or "got on" with them

I would think that I will buy the 150 - 500mm - because I want "closer" shots of those little birdies - but I am preparing myself not to like it

so my answer to your question, (using totally unrelated logic), would be NO

The requested Foveon sensor makes sense in terms of connectivity when put in a M mount. Ohterwise what kind of lens- length this module should have?
So this other sensor is in a competition with the other CMOS sensor of the 'original' mount for Ms. But we need a different workflow and software to read out the RAW datas, the (for most of su) common software as Lightroom and/or Aperture is dead for these kind of datas.

Ricoh should spread the variety of modules to hold it's attractivity against the hyped Sonys and Fujis and others. The unique feature of the GXR is it's modularity and therefore Ricoh should add some more very different modules which are not be able to be met by competitors.

My wish would be a dedicated module for B&W photography. Preferable with a sensor in the range of 20 - 30 MP without the Bayer pattern (of course) and scene software like Efex or DXO to emulate the grain, contrast and 'dirtyness' of pushed silver film.

No competitor could/would follow Ricoh onto this very thin ice because they have to offer a dedicated complete body which might not so be attractive due to price and over all sales.
The Ricoh mount already exists with housing, bajonett, shutter and some electronic components. From my non-pro-view this could be already 60-75% of the job......

But a Foveon sensor might be not so attractive, it would be easier for customers to get the p&s from Sigma directly including the RAW software......

Having just replaced my broken DP1 with a new one (200 euros was pretty good I think) I am re amazed at how slow and difficult the camera is to use after my GRD3. I'm forcing myself to use it by doing the SIJ with it and whilst I love the images I'm getting I'm really not enjoying the physical experience. The thought of having my favourite user interface with my favourite sensor would make me buy a Foveon sensor GXR module in a flash.

I am not sure it would add much over the excellent Sony sensor with the GXR Mount since most of the Foveon benefit is the lack of AA filter which the GXR Mount already has, the different layers don't really seem to bring much other than problems at high ISO.

I have not seen any pictures where the 3 layers of the Foveon sensor really seemed to make a difference in terms of colour resolution and the colours don't seem natural to me but always over saturated.

Could be good for Sigma to release a module for the GXR since they would at least not have to worry about making a decent user interface and could only focus on the sensor part. It would open up their sensors to people who don't want to put up with a bad user interface and slow cameras.

To be honest given the choice of buying a GXR Mount with Sony sensor or Foveon sensor the Sony sensor would always win since it just works better overall without any problems.

I would like to see a purely b&w sensor in the GXR Mount though, this could be interesting and offer something different.

Yes, yes and yes.

I used to use the DP1 and DP2 all the time, often with the GRD III for the speed and high ISO benefits. When I got the GXR I stopped using the Sigma cameras as the GXR's handling is much better. But as I look back on my Sigma images, they have a look that I really like, something that I can't seem to achieve with the GXR. The GXR produces excellent images, but the Foveon images have a delicacy of tonal variation and subtlety of colour transition that I can't make happen with GXR files. The closest that I've seen in a non-Foveon camera is the Leica M8 and M9.

So the answer is a definite yes. If Sigma DP cameras handled like Ricohs I would not have gone to Ricoh, or at least, I probably wouldn't have bought into the GXR system.

Yes, yes and yes.

I used to use the DP1 and DP2 all the time, often with the GRD III for the speed and high ISO benefits. When I got the GXR I stopped using the Sigma cameras as the GXR's handling is much better. But as I look back on my Sigma images, they have a look that I really like, something that I can't seem to achieve with the GXR. The GXR produces excellent images, but the Foveon images have a delicacy of tonal variation and subtlety of colour transition that I can't make happen with GXR files. The closest that I've seen in a non-Foveon camera is the Leica M8 and M9.

So the answer is a definite yes. If Sigma DP cameras handled like Ricohs I would not have gone to Ricoh, or at least, I probably wouldn't have bought into the GXR system.

I too own a DP2, Ricoh GRD III and GXR 50mm and would feel that the combination of Foveon Sensor and GXR body would be amazing, still nothing beats that Foveon sensor, I took my DP2 out for a walk yesterday after it has been sitting in a draw my eyes couldn't believe the results, so sharp and 3D and no post processing. Or lets hope Sigma bring out the DP3 with a much better body.

Back