Fuji "Re-get" the Fuji X100 ?

christilou

Legend
I've been mulling over my old Fuji X100 pics from last year and trying to decide whether or not to buy another now that the newer X100s is imminent. My dilemma is this, the cheapest new price in the UK at present is £529. The body only Fuji XE 1 is not much more and I already have a Fuji X Pro 1 and three lenses. I wanted to have the X100 as my go to camera now that I sold (yes, sigh) the Fuji X10 that I got a Christmas. I didn't like the zoom lens, much prefer the single focal length as it's less to think about and more compact in the X100 as it sits fairly flat in the body. I'll be going off to Spain again at Easter time for just a week and don't want to carry a whole load of stuff. Been going there for almost 30 years and there isn't much left to photograph in one guise or another!!! I don't think I can afford the new X100s unless I sell some more stuff and I'm not sure I would gain much as I already have (debatable) the same IQ in the X Pro 1. Faster AF, well that would be nice (if it works). Not going to use manual focus much if at all so I'm thinking that there's not a lot of gain for me at double the price of the "old" Fuji X100. I've been using Perfect Effects for processing the old files and have found it does a good job of sharpening and making them look nice and smooth so I know what I'm getting. Don't tell me I'm mad, that's a given :rolleyes:

I always prefer a fixed lens camera when traveling. I think it's more psychological thing than anything else but it's one less thing to think about, one less decision to make. I suppose it wouldn't be any different (REALLY) taking the X Pro 1 with a prime but I understand the desire. That said, I don't know what the X100 gets you other than smaller. If it were an X100s then you could say "fast AF" (assuming it really does deliver fast AF). Is it worth it to you for smaller?

I loved the files that the X100 produced when I had mine. It felt great in the hand and looked awesome. I was sad to see it go when I sold mine to fund the X-Pro1. I'm starting to love the X-Pro1 but have yet had much of a chance to take it out and use it. I went out to capture the last of the snow and took my new D700 along for the ride. I took about 20 images from each camera, had 1 keeper from the D700 and about 5 from the Xpro1. The D700 will be going back on ebay as it is 3 times the weight of the Xpro and not nearly so nice to use. The Xpro did a pretty good job with the 18-55mm but I think I would still like to have a X100 as well.

There will be a 23mm lens for the Xpro along soon which should make the Xpro an ideal camera with no need for the X100. If the 23mm lens is really expensive like the 14mm then I may as well get the X100 or X100s!!! The 35mm f1.4 on the X-pro is very nice so if the 23mm is really good I may dump the 18-55 and just use the two primes and get a voigtlander 15mm for the occasional wide stuff.

I have ordered a Nikon F adapter for the Xpro so I can use my Tamron 90mm 1:1 macro lens which will give the Xpro a whole new direction. At the moment the Xpro 'should' do me for a long while along with my Lumix LX7 but I still feel I need something in between.

I understand your quandry. I have an X-E1 with the zoom and the 35mm and thought I'd no longer need the X100. But I just can't bring myself to get rid of it. In many ways I prefer it's forced simplicity. I've never had any issues with the X100 at all. I just figured the X-E1 would be like an X100 with more flexibility. It's actually a totally different camera. It's too soon for me to say I'll sell the X-E1, but I can certainly see why you would want to possibly re-get an X100.

It just does everything I ask of it and it does it so well.

I must admit the X20 looks promising!!! I have had an X10 and it's a great camera most of the time. The images generally can be really very nice and have that 'Fuji look'. I'm interested to see what the X20 can produce with the new sensor.

In many ways I prefer it's forced simplicity. I've never had any issues with the X100 at all. I just figured the X-E1 would be like an X100 with more flexibility. It's actually a totally different camera. It's too soon for me to say I'll sell the X-E1, but I can certainly see why you would want to possibly re-get an X100.

Spot on!

I'm also looking at the Sigma DP2m which produces files that blow me away for detail but there are issues.......that's for another forum! :D

I understand your quandry. I have an X-E1 with the zoom and the 35mm and thought I'd no longer need the X100. But I just can't bring myself to get rid of it. In many ways I prefer it's forced simplicity. I've never had any issues with the X100 at all. I just figured the X-E1 would be like an X100 with more flexibility. It's actually a totally different camera. It's too soon for me to say I'll sell the X-E1, but I can certainly see why you would want to possibly re-get an X100.

I know how you feel. That's how I view my X10. It does everything I ask of it.

Christina, I'd probably wait until the X100s is on the street. You may decide its too compelling to get another X100, or you might still decide to go for an X100 and it will probably be LESS expensive then. Whatever bargains are starting to turn up for the X100 now, you can be sure there will be better ones then. And probably a slew of used ones at good prices to pick from too...

-Ray

So what do you really hope to gain from such an exercise? What's wrong with the X 100 Pro and the OM-D? When I desire to shoot with only one lens, I just slap a lens and go.

Gary

I think I just feel such a fraud, walking along with a "proper camera"! I want to look like a tourist with a p & s!!! I have considered getting an EMP2 and using the Panasonic 14mm I already have but that would be just as expensive plus I'd like the silent shutter of the X100.

I think I just feel such a fraud, walking along with a "proper camera"! I want to look like a tourist with a p & s!!! I have considered getting an EMP2 and using the Panasonic 14mm I already have but that would be just as expensive plus I'd like the silent shutter of the X100.

I just got the X10 but my feeling is that it's pretty tough going back to non Fuji build quality after tasting it !! Not to mention the X100 chip is just head and shoulders above all the other cited options... Come on, you know you want one ;)

It's a done deal, only question is which one? X100 or X100s. Ray is my voice of reason. Wait and see for a few more weeks!

It looks like you have plenty of time before your trip. If it were me I'd wait until the X100s hits the street. Prices of the X100 should drop when the X100s becomes available and you'll know if the it delivers as promised. Personally, I would do it just for the focus peaking and fast AF.

It looks like you have plenty of time before your trip. If it were me I'd wait until the X100s hits the street. Prices of the X100 should drop when the X100s becomes available and you'll know if the it delivers as promised. Personally, I would do it just for the focus peaking and fast AF.

Fast AF yes, but I truly do NOT GET THE POINT of MF assist (peaking and split screen) for a fixed lens cam ?!?

Fast AF yes, but I truly do NOT GET THE POINT of MF assist (peaking and split screen) for a fixed lens cam ?!?

Just ONE example would be for doing some close focus work. A close-up of a flower and you want your focus on the pistil, but the AF grabs the high contrast point RIGHT NEXT TO it. I rarely manual focus my X100, but when I want to, I would certainly like to have those new features. Not necessary, but nice to have.

Just ONE example would be for doing some close focus work. A close-up of a flower and you want your focus on the pistil, but the AF grabs the high contrast point RIGHT NEXT TO it. I rarely manual focus my X100, but when I want to, I would certainly like to have those new features. Not necessary, but nice to have.

Yes that make a lot of sense, but still giving TWO af assists feature to a fixed lens cam seems a little overkill, when the interchangeable bodies still don't have Peaking...

Well, it's not a matter of anyone using both. Some people love focus peaking. Others hate it and prefer the split screen. It's probably the more traditional shooters among us in the second group. Many manual-focus film SLRs had the split screen. So it's not a matter of overkill as much as a matter of choice. As for the interchangable-lens cameras not even offering peaking, you've got me there.

Christi,

I would take a look at some of the stuff on theX100S, it looks REALLY good. That said if you really want an X100, I'll give you a good deal on mine once I get the X100S. I was planning on keeping it but I would sell it to you at a very favorable price, no problem shipping to England.

I would get the X100S though.

Back