1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Re-visiting the strawberry farm -- photo intensive

Discussion in 'Micro Four Thirds Forum' started by Armanius, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    My wife and I jetted down to Froberg Farm in Alvin, Texas to pick some strawberries. Our second time there. Weather was perfect for the day with the nature. During our first stint to Froberg about two years ago, I was armed with the Pentax K5 with the FA35mm f2 lens, and the Panasonic GH2 with the 45-200. Things change quickly! I'm now hitched. And this time, I was armed with the OMD with the 75/1.8 and the X100. Most of the photos were taken with the OMD, but I went ahead and included the X100 photos in here anyway. Most photos were cropped. The photos with the OMD were heavily cropped to zoom in closer to the subjects.

Arriving at the parking lot, and seeing myself 20 years from now.

Froberg_Farm-1.

Teenagers nowadays. Talking instead of working. Been there myself. Note the woman with the Canon G on the left! I also saw another lady with an EPL1. Observations from the gear addict in me.

Froberg_Farm-2.

Break time.

Froberg_Farm-3.

Potatoes are cheap. We should have bought some that day!

[​IMG]

Entry way back into the storefront for folks returning from the strawberry field with the strawberries in hand.

Froberg_Farm-5.

After a long day of work, a little yawn.

Froberg_Farm-6.

The cute couple. She reminds me of ... never mind!

Froberg_Farm-7.

The missus hard at work while I fool around with the camera.

Froberg_Farm-8.

He hasn't paid for the strawberries yet!

Froberg_Farm-9.

"I told you once and I'll tell you again -- only big ones!!!"

Froberg_Farm-12.

Yeah, I chopped the guy's head off.

Froberg_Farm-13.

I thought that this photo would make a great ad for the strawberry farm ... if she had filled the buckets with strawberries. I suppose I could always photoshop some strawberries into it.

Froberg_Farm-14.

Close up with the 75mm.

Froberg_Farm-16.

Using the handy Leatherman that I gave her.

Froberg_Farm-17.

"Stop taking photos of me! My hair is messy!!"

Froberg_Farm-18.

Never noticed before that strawberry plants have flowers!

Froberg_Farm-19.

I strategically cropped out part of the photo on this one! Keeping it G rated.

Froberg_Farm-20.

Lots of crop on this one too. Trying to get closer up to the lady taking the photo.

[​IMG]

This lady did not seem to enjoy the experience. Her group left at the same time we did, and she seemed very unhappy. Probably because they didn't give her a bucket.

Froberg_Farm-22.

On the other hand, they were pretty happy -- particularly the kiddo.

Froberg_Farm-23.

Mandatory shallow DOF strawberry photo.

Froberg_Farm-24.

"Put the camera away."

Froberg_Farm-10.

The fruits of the labor.

[​IMG]

2. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    Nice pics, can't imagine having strawberries in April already! Here they don't start blooming until May or even June...
    lol @ the G-rated thing!:biggrin:

3. Very nice time.

Enjoy the captions with the images.

4. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    nice series. So did you do any picking or just play with your cameras? LOL.
    btw, the flowers turn into strawberries. Now I want some strawberries.

5. entropic remnants

entropic remnants SC All-Pro

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Nice shots! Street photography on a strawberry farm, lol. I love those kind of outings.

6. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    mmm...strawberries.

Nice set!

7. rfortson

rfortson New to SC

Apr 18, 2013
    Houston (Clear Lake), Texas
    Russ
    Hey Armanius, nice set of shots and great idea for a day trip. I'll have to do this with the family.

Oh, and hello all. My first post here. Wandered over from mu-43 forum. Nice to see many of the same people here.

Russ (in Houston)

8. Armanius

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Welcome to the forum Russ!! Good to see you here.

Thanks! Froberg Farm sure is a good place to take the family. And it's not too far from Clear Lake. I grew up in Clear Lake, attended middle school there -- the Eagles!

9. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    Thanks, I enjoyed that little trip through the strawberry patch :biggrin: Love the pained expression in the second to last, she's a good sport !

10. Armanius

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Yes, I ended up doing "some" work!

Thanks Christina! She's a good sport indeed. Even when she's complaining!

11. Country Parson

Country Parson SC Top Veteran

Apr 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    Dan
    That woman with the messy hair is a beauty. :biggrin:

12. Armanius

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Awww. I'm sure she'll be happy to hear your comments Dan. Many thanks on her behalf. I guess on mine too!! :)

13. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    Those were fun, I felt I was there, (with my boots on.). I have strawberries tucked here and there throughout the yard. They been ripening for more than a month. Been tossing them into ice cream and salads just to brighten thing up.

14. Armanius

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Thanks for the kind words Gary. I tried to grow a little garden of herbs like basil and rosemary. I've been told that they are easy to grow and maintain. Sadly, I've killed them all in my half dozen effort so far. I presume growing strawberries is likely more difficult than herbs!

15. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    I dunno, I've been having a spot of good luck with everything so far. I have all kinds of herbs, numerous basils, tarragons, rosemary, thymes, mints, lemon balm, et cetera, all kinds of stuff. It's a real kick when preparing a meal just to run to the backyard and ... clip, clip, clip, one fresh salad coming up, clip, clip, clip ... seasonings coming up. This year I've really expanded the garden, around 20 different tomatoes and the equal number of peppers. All in pots, the pots makes the care a lot easier.

Gary

16. Armanius

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    That sounds very nice Gary. You gotta a mini farm there. I was trying to grow stuff off pots as well. I guess I just don't have a green thumb.

17. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Loved the shots. There used to be a Strawberry farm just out of Sydney where we could go pick our own but I think its long gone. Too far to travel now, anyway.

Green thumb? Mine is decidedly black, but I go through so many tomatoes, and celery, and iceberg lettuce, and radish... I really think I need to try again. Its a matter of finding the right place in the garden to put the beds in... and after seeing your photographs, will now try the hanging pot full of strawberry plants and see how we go.

18. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    I get the biggest kick out of growing stuff ... and when it finally become eatable ... I hate to pick it. Mary Lou, is great, she's always clipping away. Presently, even as I keyboard, I'm eating the first artichoke of the season. This huge monster thing about the size of small watermelon. It was a very warm day today, so Mary Lou and I are washing down the artichoke with homemade Sangria fabricated with stuff from the yard (oranges, lemons, limes, strawberries, grapes). I encourage everyone to grow food.

Gary

19. Armanius

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Sue, let us know how the strawberry turns out!

Gary, you are a renaissance man! Photographer and farmer!

I just went grocery shopping and bought a bunch of veggies and some avocados. Avocado smoothies are great!

20. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    I have an Avocado tree which produces amazing fruit, (ask Luke). What's the secret(s) to wonderful Avocado smoothies?