Really ineresting image at this link

Fascinating stuff, not sure how the image was taken, Jock but I'd like to have taken it. In 2011 I spent a few days over in Iceland hoping to see and photograph the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) which is probably as close to the Earthquake Lights as I'll ever get to see. Although I came back with some decent shots overall, the 'Lights never put in an appearance despite spending until the early hours of the morning sat out in the freezing wilderness waiting for them to show up. I'll be back there someday :)

Saw one of these Orange Balls in the late 70's / early 80's - watched it for over 1/2 hour floating about over a local town but it exhibited some strange behaviour - floated down over a hill at a constant height then stopped standstill over a church tower about 50 metres up then shot off at truly amazing speed about a mile away to some cooling towers & chemical chimney stacks then drifted away in the clouds. I guess no more than a metre diameter probably less. Glowed like a setting sun but not quite as intense.
Lunch hour broad daylight. No earthquakes reported that I recall.

Fascinating stuff, not usre how the image was taken, Jock but I'd like to have taken it. In 2011 I spent a few days over in Iceland hoping to see and photograph the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) which is probably as close to the Earthquake Lights as I'll ever get to see. Although I came back with some decent shots overall, the 'Lights never put in an appearance despite spending until the early hours of the morning sat out in the freezing wilderness waiting for them to show up. I'll be back there someday :)
I too spent many hours on a lava field outside Reykjavik in December 2012. The lights were there, albeit a level 3 out of 9, so they didn't look very impressive to the naked eye. However my photos looked much more vivid than what I remember seeing, and I wonder whether all digitally taken photos of the lights are more colourful than reality?

I too spent many hours on a lava field outside Reykjavik in December 2012. The lights were there, albeit a level 3 out of 9, so they didn't look very impressive to the naked eye. However my photos looked much more vivid than what I remember seeing, and I wonder whether all digitally taken photos of the lights are more colourful than reality?

My word, Martin - we're almost neighbours. :) I have heard this before re the Northern Lights showing as more spectacular on film (sensor?). I'd have liked to find out for myself, but alas it wasn't to to be. I may try again for another trip to Iceland later this year.

D

Back