Return From Africa

briarhopper

Rookie
Just returned from a month in Africa, part of the time in South Africa and part of the time in Botswana. My camera was a Olympus EP-3 I have just acquired and a 45mm lens that was manual focus. Talk about setting yourself up with handicaps! I'm placing them here in order to learn, so any and all critiques and advice are welcome and encouraged.

rhino.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

zebra.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nothing wrong with them, nice shots! You got very close by the looks of it, was this on safari? Hoping to visit both countries this autumn, really looking forward to it.

I was in Botswana setting up the beginning of a Horseback outfitter's business we are starting there. These pictures were taken in South Africa in Polanisburg (sp?), we were in a truck, and decided to stay there! I loved it there. I'll be happy to be any help I can if you need input on the trip.

Forget the cursors, it doesn't matter - great shots indeed, I've nominated this for a feature, just because I want to see more photos. A safari photo trip is something I've always held a desire to do. Thanks for posting :2thumbs:

Nice work, and what a fabulous experience. So you say that all of these were taken with a 45mm lens on an E-P3? You must have gotten pretty close then!

Thank you. Yes, I only had the one lens for the camera. It was a working trip, not really a vacation, so Im afraid not much thought went into the photography side until I had arrived and saw what was around me. Then I was simply pushed into working to make do with what I had. The lions are very close, but on a preserve and in a semi-controlled environment.

I agree. For instance, there were some of the most beautiful birds I have ever seen in my life. Was only able to get close enough to a couple of them for a photo.

Yeh, that's a real shame - I travelled a lot on business about 30 years ago for about 8 years non stop and never really took many photos as I was always too focused on work, getting it done and getting back to the UK as quickly as possible ....... I visited Japan maybe 35 times and only took a handful of shots of Tokyo.

I'm trying to make up for it now that I have retired!!! .......... but my knees are giving me problems ......... bugger!!!!!

Nice images. The nice thing about manual lenses is the weird things they do to the image at times which gives the lens character and therefore makes the image a little more interesting.

Back