Return From Africa

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by briarhopper, Feb 20, 2014.

1. briarhopper

briarhopper SC Rookie

Jan 31, 2012
    Talkeetnai, AK
    Just returned from a month in Africa, part of the time in South Africa and part of the time in Botswana. My camera was a Olympus EP-3 I have just acquired and a 45mm lens that was manual focus. Talk about setting yourself up with handicaps! I'm placing them here in order to learn, so any and all critiques and advice are welcome and encouraged.

rhino.

zebra.

• Like Like x 10
  2. CiaranReilly

CiaranReilly SC Rookie

Dec 3, 2013
    Nothing wrong with them, nice shots! You got very close by the looks of it, was this on safari? Hoping to visit both countries this autumn, really looking forward to it.

3. briarhopper

briarhopper SC Rookie

Jan 31, 2012
    Talkeetnai, AK
    I was in Botswana setting up the beginning of a Horseback outfitter's business we are starting there. These pictures were taken in South Africa in Polanisburg (sp?), we were in a truck, and decided to stay there! I loved it there. I'll be happy to be any help I can if you need input on the trip.

4. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    Next time make sure the cursor is at the end of all text, or even one line down. Keeps everything lined up. :smile:

PA

5. briarhopper

briarhopper SC Rookie

Jan 31, 2012
    Talkeetnai, AK
    here's another one...

young_and_hungry.

• Like Like x 4
  6. briarhopper

briarhopper SC Rookie

Jan 31, 2012
    Talkeetnai, AK
    Ok, Dad. I did on this next one. Thanks.

7. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    That's better. By the way those lions look pretty thin, hungry. Hummm, ..better stay in the truck.

8. briarhopper

briarhopper SC Rookie

Jan 31, 2012
    Talkeetnai, AK
    Actually, they were in another place, and we were not in the truck. A guide was throwing chunks of raw chicken and keeping them occupied and ... satisfied.

9. briarhopper

briarhopper SC Rookie

Jan 31, 2012
    Talkeetnai, AK
    another photo, I really like this one...

young_prince.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Dewi Sant

Dewi Sant SC Veteran

Dec 20, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Guess?
    Forget the cursors, it doesn't matter - great shots indeed, I've nominated this for a feature, just because I want to see more photos. A safari photo trip is something I've always held a desire to do. Thanks for posting :2thumbs:

11. Look great from here.

Never take a trip with new equipment your unfamiliar with without expecting to have a learning curve, but I guess you know that now.:wink:

12. briarhopper

briarhopper SC Rookie

Jan 31, 2012
    Talkeetnai, AK
    Maybe one more...

ghost.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Nice work, and what a fabulous experience. So you say that all of these were taken with a 45mm lens on an E-P3? You must have gotten pretty close then!

14. briarhopper

briarhopper SC Rookie

Jan 31, 2012
    Talkeetnai, AK
    Thank you. Yes, I only had the one lens for the camera. It was a working trip, not really a vacation, so Im afraid not much thought went into the photography side until I had arrived and saw what was around me. Then I was simply pushed into working to make do with what I had. The lions are very close, but on a preserve and in a semi-controlled environment.

15. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    shame that you did not have a telephoto as there is so much (small) wild life around in Africa

16. briarhopper

briarhopper SC Rookie

Jan 31, 2012
    Talkeetnai, AK
    I agree. For instance, there were some of the most beautiful birds I have ever seen in my life. Was only able to get close enough to a couple of them for a photo.

17. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    Yeh, that's a real shame - I travelled a lot on business about 30 years ago for about 8 years non stop and never really took many photos as I was always too focused on work, getting it done and getting back to the UK as quickly as possible ....... I visited Japan maybe 35 times and only took a handful of shots of Tokyo.

I'm trying to make up for it now that I have retired!!! .......... but my knees are giving me problems ......... bugger!!!!!

18. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Nice images. The nice thing about manual lenses is the weird things they do to the image at times which gives the lens character and therefore makes the image a little more interesting.

19. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    You have done well travelling light (in camera terms).

20. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    Wonderful photos, feel like I am looking at a nat geo gallery