Ricoh GR back in stock at B&H

I still have and my old original film Ricoh GR and I bought the first version of the GR Digital several years ago which was pretty bad and I soon sold it. I know they have made many fixes and improvements since then. I ran into a guy today who pulled the new one out of his pocket and was pretty happy with it.

Anyone shot both this and the Coolpix A?

Here's waaay more than you want to know Lisa.

https://www.photographerslounge.org/f38/ricoh-gr-vs-nikon-coolpix-quick-impressions-18865/

I started with the GRD3, which I loved and also had (still have) the GXR with 28mm lens, which is essentially the same in operation but is larger and has a bigger sensor. The GR has largely similar controls to both and the best sensor yet and its small enough to fit in a pocket. In terms of IQ, its a near-twin of the Nikon Coolpix A. If you already have that and like it, no reason to switch (or vice versa). Both immensely capable immensely tiny cameras with incredibly similar lenses, sensors, and IQ. But the control layouts and levels of customizability are very different - the Ricoh's controls are more customizable than about anything out there. I fully expected to prefer the Ricoh to the Nikon, but to my surprise I liked the Nikon more. But I'd have been really happy with either if only one had presented itself...

-Ray

I rented a Coolpix A for a couple of days and really liked it. I then bought the Ricoh GR after reading a lot of online reviews. I'm now second guessing my decision and just ordered a Coolpix A. The biggest difference to me is that the Nikon is much simpler in terms of operating the camera. The Ricoh is much more customizable which can work well for someone who wants to take the time to set it up and then remember all various settings and options. But if you just want to pull the camera out of your pocket and shoot, I think the Nikon is easier, at least for me. And, without reading glasses, I have a hard time reading the Ricoh screen to see the settings in use since the font is pretty small. Don't remember having that problem with the Nikon. I'll know more in a couple of days when I get my hands on the Nikon again.

-Thomas

My GR arrived an hour or so ago :yahoo:. In the wall a'chargin.... Not that easy to find in OZ BTW!

My decision was based a little on Ray and Ming's comparison reviews, and a little more on my experiences with the old film GR1, then the deal was sealed with the loan of a GR from Joe (Livnius) :2thumbs: especially as compared to the Coolpix A tried in-store. From my purely subjective perspective, there is something about the GR in hand. Buttons are where they should be. To lend a saying from a friend from work - "It just works"!!!!

Once you learn where everything is as you have to with any new camera, the GR ergonomics are just perfect and the configuration opportunities amazing. In fact I'm a little confused by the X100s right now, not knowing it, it seems so complex.

Once you learn where everything is as you have to with any new camera, the GR ergonomics are just perfect and the configuration opportunities amazing. In fact I'm a little confused by the X100s right now, not knowing it, it seems so complex.

Don't sweat it Kristen, it will come to you quickly. The X100 is one of the few cameras I have ever gotten "muscle memory" for where I can adjust things without thinking about them first.

If you could get on top of all of the options the GR gives you, the X100 should be a piece of cake. There's only one button to program and the auto-ISO system is pretty poor, so ISO is the obvious choice (and IIRC, its pre-programmed that way). The aperture, shutter speed, and exposure comp are all right there, fully and easily accessible at all times. And anything else you might need is on the Q menu. Some of the menu items may take a little experimentation to figure out what works for you, but you don't need to go to the menus much with that camera. If you like the focal length, not much to complain about with the X100s...

-Ray

Hi Luke, still here occasionally. I haven't been very active here lately, but I still follow some threads. This is the best forum for great insights into these little cameras.

Ray's experiences have been very helpful. Even with all these detailed write-ups, there there still are things that only get readily apparent when you get your hands on the camera though. Like my issue with reading the camera settings without resorting to wearing reading glasses. That doesn't work for me. I also prefer to shoot with an OVF attached, making it even more awkward to use reading glasses.

I also don't find shooting with the LCD turned off to be that useful. I thought that would be my preferred way, but I just don't seem to be able to do much, like check the exposure etc. without turning the LCD screen back on again. I think the Fuji X100 clearly has the upper hand when it comes to suing an OVF, but it doesn't fit in my pocket :confused:

Anyway, I'll share my opinions once I get the Nikon later this week.

-Thomas

If you could get on top of all of the options the GR gives you, the X100 should be a piece of cake. There's only one button to program and the auto-ISO system is pretty poor, so ISO is the obvious choice (and IIRC, its pre-programmed that way). The aperture, shutter speed, and exposure comp are all right there, fully and easily accessible at all times. And anything else you might need is on the Q menu. Some of the menu items may take a little experimentation to figure out what works for you, but you don't need to go to the menus much with that camera. If you like the focal length, not much to complain about with the X100s...

-Ray

I'm actually becoming rather frustrated and stressed out over it. It doesn't help that Popflash has this notify us in 24 hours of receiving the camera nonsense.. well, that's passed. I've shot 16 photos, some of my bird which probably wasn't a good idea because he moves too much so I didn't get crisp shots but it was a good experiment in color. Then I shot the house, other houses and trees outside, so sad it's not more scenic but I just wanted to get something sharp. I over exposed two images.. somehow.. and tinkered with black and white, with sepia, velvia.. Pressing the review button is a committment, you really need to press it and when you want to turn it off it seems like I have to press it twice. I need to read more I guess. Did a rapid fire test, four shots in a row, actually got the progressing of a car driving by, unintended. This is the god I hope I didn't make a mistake post because this is the most I've ever spent and I don't even feel skilled enough to test if the camera is functioning properly. About a month from now I'll probably discover something wrong I should have noticed right away. Sigh.

Kristen: It's probably working fine. I hate to see you spend all that money just to get flustered. By all accounts it's a fabulous camera that has a bit of a learning course. I'm definitely envious.

Kristen...it mainly sounds like buyers remorse. If you don't experience it after a big purchase....there's something wrong with you. I regret nearly every thing I buy for a few days (well....not groceries and stuff, but you know what I mean). You'll get your head around it. At it's most basic, it's still just a light capture machine where you control around 3 parameters (and the auto ISO is so good, you really only need to control 2). So frame your shot, use good technique, and release the shutter....the X100S automagically sits out gorgeous files.

That sounds really stressful, I hope it works out for you, and did you just sell your GR? :eek:

Yes I sold it :) And mostly I just don't like not knowing what I am doing, how to use something properly. I made my share of mistakes with the GR too in the beginning.

Kristen: It's probably working fine. I hate to see you spend all that money just to get flustered. By all accounts it's a fabulous camera that has a bit of a learning course. I'm definitely envious.

I hope it is ok because I wouldn't know and the idea of having to send it out right after I get it.. bleh. I expected to have to learn, I will just have to keep reading and tinkering and re-reading and trying more. As to envy.. I will have to sell a lot to pay for this which is something I should have done first but.. I finally crumbled.

Kristen...it mainly sounds like buyers remorse. If you don't experience it after a big purchase....there's something wrong with you. I regret nearly every thing I buy for a few days (well....not groceries and stuff, but you know what I mean). You'll get your head around it. At it's most basic, it's still just a light capture machine where you control around 3 parameters (and the auto ISO is so good, you really only need to control 2). So frame your shot, use good technique, and release the shutter....the X100S automagically sits out gorgeous files.

You're right to some extent, Luke.. guilt for spending so much, fear that what I invested might backfire on me, frustration over my sudden lack of skill. I regretted the GR as well, it's like a feeling I don't deserve it or have no business spending so much and yet I keep buying the little things and they don't do it for me because they are substitutes for what I want. So I sell all the little things and hopefully.. it will even out. Btw, I love the word "automagically" so thanks for that. I already love how it feels in hand. The vf is clear to me though I did have a few times where it seemed oddly.. dark. It also seems a little slow, how can I check which version of software it has?

to check firmware, hold down the disp/ back button and turn the camera on. Current firmware is 1.03.....nothing really important, but if you want to be current, you can read how to do it here.... Firmware for X100S | Fujifilm Global

when you say the viewfinder was dark....was it the optical VF? That is just as bright as the scene is...you're just looking through glass. If it was the EVF, there's a few things it could be.

Thanks, I have the newest firmware then. And honestly I was a bit lost as to what I was seeing at first, ovf or evf, though I figured it out now. If it happens again because it hasn't since then I will check to see what my settings are, maybe it was just my new camera haze. I think tomorrow my daughter and I will go out after my trip to the post office and do some shooting. Take my challenge list with me. Need to get a case for it.. paranoid about scratching my new baby!

I have not thought about buying anything for awhile, but decided today to order a GR and try it out as my new all the time briefcase road camera, replacing my X10 in the bag, the size, feel and chip size look appealing, let you know what I think when it arrives on Friday. Was tempted to get an X20 but don't see it being that different, from the X10, just needed something small, with a slightly wide lens with a big chip.

Back