Ricoh Ricoh GR firmware version v2.03 released

Not sure Bill.

Just updated my firmware. So far all I can report is that the camera turns back on no worries....and at the same speed :laugh1:

As a heads up, enhancements include:

"* Maximum shutter speed increased to 1/2500s (up from 1/2000s)
* You can now switch from playback mode to image capture mode by full depressing the shutter button
* A 47mm crop mode has been added (in addition to the existing 35mm crop mode)
* A new "maximum aperture priority" programmed shooting mode has been added
* New shutter button customization options added, including the ability to save settings by half-pressing the button
* You can now choose whether or not RAW files can be transferred over Eye-Fi
* Eye-fi transfer progress is now displayed in playback mode, when there is an active transfer
* A bug affecting folder numbering during Eye-fi transfer has been fixed
* The EXIF manufacturer name has been changed from "Pentax Ricoh Imaging" to "Ricoh Imaging"
* RAW image quality when using shadow correction has been improved
* White balance in Multi-P Auto mode has been improved
* In-camera noise reduction has been improved at ISO 1600 and 3200
* Eye-fi stability has been improved
* DNG ColorMatrix performance has been improved
* Various button combinations now function in a more logical manner"

For me i hope "A new "maximum aperture priority" programmed shooting mode has been added" means I can program faster than 1/40sec in A-mode.

Everything thing you need to know is here.

Now with 47mm crop :hmmm:

thanks for this Mark!. WOW Ricoh. this is awesome. I personally use Eye Fi card on my GR, and had shit loads of problems with it, i talked to Eye Fi and they followed with me the whole process up to a point were they asked me if they could use my whole situation for 'further improvements' with their development team and possibly with Ricoh. Plus they sent me a new card and never had more problems. So im guessing i was not the only one.

and the 47mm crop sounds BRILLIANT!. im a 28 and 50 shooter. Of course in this case the crop is going to give you like an 8megapixel file or so (im just guessing as the 35crop is a 11.2 megapixels). But this makes me wonder if they are considering a 40/50mm camera or system. If they do, ill be in there. a compact 50 f2 (35mm equiv) or faster would be AWE-SOME.

This firmware shows how much they can actually 'tweak' in this cameras, just wonder why not other camera makers give this much of support (looking at you Olympus).

This really got me excited. good job Ricoh. And thanks Mark for pointing it out!.

Never owned, therefore, updated a Ricoh before, but ill see how it goes!.

Great FW update. I assigned the 35/47mm crop function to the effect button. So with the wide angle adapter, I have 28,35,45 mm f2.8
aps-c in my shirt pocket and the 21mm f2.8 converter in my jacket. UI, excellent optics and constant FW update is what really differentiates Ricoh from the me too pack.

The "shutter button confirmation" fixed one of the two things I didn't like about the camera - without it you'd have to hit the ok button every time you adjusted exposure comp or anything from the ADJ button or that menu/list would stay open and active until you did. I found this to be a real pain in the butt because you couldn't adjust anything else until you'd hit the OK button. This adds back a feature that's in the GXR and I believe the GRD3 where a half press of the shutter button does the same thing as the OK button - confirming the selection and closing the menu/list. I couldn't believe they left this out if the GR and really missed that feature when I was using the camera - often accidentally leaving exposure comp live and inadvertently changing it (usually by a lot) when trying to adjust something else. This is a huge fix for me.

Now, if they'd just increase the minimum shutter speed you can select in Auto ISO and aperture priority to 1/500 or 1/1000 or allow for a max ISO setting in TaV mode....

-Ray

Upgraded. Have to say the wording is a bit confusing on the Ricoh website.

I downloaded the zip file to my computer, then extracted the firmware file. I dragged and dropped that on to the root of a pre-formatted SD card then installed from that.

All the button presses they recommend are confusing. Just go into Setup and scroll to the bottom of the menu then take it from there.

I shall try out the 47mm crop today :D

I just dragged the file - as downloaded - straight onto a freshly formatted SD card. Went to the menu item in camera and it booted automatically from there...

It took me about 20 minutes of controlled rage to get this to work! I couldn't get the file onto the root directory no matter how I tried. Eventually by some fluke it was suddenly there! I also took a couple of goes to realize that the instructions are just badly translated and in the event it was quite simple!!!

It took me about 20 minutes of controlled rage to get this to work! I couldn't get the file onto the root directory no matter how I tried. Eventually by some fluke it was suddenly there! I also took a couple of goes to realize that the instructions are just badly translated and in the event it was quite simple!!!
Sorry to hear that Christi. You're not using a Mac are you? :tomato2:
Be honest this took longer for me than it should have too, but I'm still negotiating the way Apples think.

I have to say that the update was quick, clean and easy. It didnt took more than 2 minutes after i downloaded the zip file till i got the new fw installed. Dont "see" whats new yet besides the 47mm crop.

I got lucky as well, took me all of 2 minutes to have installed and up n running.

@Chris....the biggest changes as far as i can see are

1. the new maximum shutter speed when aperture is wide open is 1/2500 where before it was 1/2000. (after that the automatic ND filter kicks in)
2. When changing exposure compensation you no longer need to press OK to confirm it, simply soot away and it is confirmed. (the old press OK first was in an unnecessary step IMO)
3. and the new 47mm crop. (I never quite understood crop modes since all these are is cropping the original image file in camera, I can just do that on my PC at home with greater precision)

Those are the main 3 I think, I really do like the "Shutter Button Confirmation" change.
There has apparently been some minor tweaking to the colour of the DNG files, some slight noise improvements at ISO3200 and some minor DR improvements in shadow areas. None of these I really expect to be very noticeable to the naked eye though.

Nice to see Ricoh continue their tradition of regular FW updates and I hope to see more.....however minor they are.

Nice to see Ricoh continue their tradition of regular FW updates and I hope to see more.....however minor they are.
:thiagree:
Just wondering what else I'd like to see done in the GR.....other than letting me decide what the minimum shutter speed is in A-mode - my shaky hands don't do 1/40sec well :blush:

Back