Ricoh Ricoh GRD III - Adventure Begins

Duane Pandorf

Top Veteran
Our hiking trip to the New Mexico mountains has begun. We arrived to Albuquerque this afternoon and head up to the Philmont Scout Ranch tomorrow.

So this will be my last contact with the internet for almost 2 weeks.

Went to dinner down the street from our hotel. This is straight out of the camera, wified to my iPhone via the Eyfi card and then posted to my Flickr page.

5834366695_ef3481ebfc_z.jpg

Well, have a good trip. 2 weeks huh....hmmmm that just might be very relaxing.
We'll hold the fort down for ya. BTW.... with 2 weeks to do absolutely nuttin' but climb and walk around, you should get a lot of good photos....

Dorf, thanks for a great send off - and such a high tech one and not without humor.:D

Have a wonderful time and promise to give us a full report resplendent with photographs! We'll be waiting for your return.:th_salute:

Dorf, thanks for a great send off - and such a high tech one and not without humor.:D

Have a wonderful time and promise to give us a full report resplendent with photographs! We'll be waiting for your return.:th_salute:

As I'm about to leave the hotel this morning I'm wondering what the heck have I volunteered to do? As I'm closer to 60 than I am to 50, I should be sitting on my porch enjoying a hot cup of coffee vice figuring out to keep 10 young men from walking me to death!

As I'm about to leave the hotel this morning I'm wondering what the heck have I volunteered to do? As I'm closer to 60 than I am to 50, I should be sitting on my porch enjoying a hot cup of coffee vice figuring out to keep 10 young men from walking me to death!

Nah, they'll only walk you half to death. And if you're closer to 60 than 50, you're already half to death anyway, so no loss. Just enjoy it! :cool:

-Ray

Good ol' Ray, always there with a helpful and encouraging quip!:D

I'm closer to 60 than 50, too, and am very glad to be alive and kicking as the alternative isn't something I'm ready for.;) You'll have a great time!

What's wrong with 90+ Ray.....

Hey, if I'm in reasonable health I'll take as many years as I can get! My Dad lived to almost 90 and all but the last year or so were pretty good. My wife's Grandmother lived to 94 and all but the last couple of months were very good. OTOH, my Mom only made it to 80 and nearly whole last decade sucked, so there are a lot of ways to grow old and I don't think we get to pick beyond trying to live as well as possible and hoping to be one of the lucky ones. I'm just enjoying now because things are great now and I don't think generally I should assume that things get BETTER from this point - hopefully they stay good for a good long while though!

-Ray

I survived!

Finally have a chance to send an update. Got back to base camp this afternoon. The GRDIII performed flawlessly including battery life and dust. Did I say dust? Unbelievably dusty. In fact, I didn't have to put sunscreen on my legs each because of the dust!

Pics to follow when I get home. 0700 shuttle pickup in the morning to the Albuquerque Airport for home.

Btw, made all 80+ miles without a blister!

One of my favorites

I'm still trying to get through all of my photos from my trip. My machine is uploading shots now to my Flickr account but this is one I thought turned out well. This is my son taken on our last day on our trek looking back where we'd come from the past 10 days!

View attachment 38610

My Flickr set is here: Philmont Crew Photos

BTW, this was not a walk in the park. When my wife saw this shot she about cried. (There's no way Tide will get this dirt out!) I had just put on sun screen. Plus this is about 0515 in the morning of our last day. We had 12 miles to hike with a 2,000' + climb the first 3 miles.

View attachment 38611

One more quick favorite:

View attachment 38612

And then there's those tired feet:

View attachment 38613

You guys are tough. Dorf, I can only imagine the intensity, the physical challenges and the incredible trip this has to have been for you and your son. I know eveyrone else must have felt a tremendous sense of accomplishment, as well, and had fun...but you and your son were so fortunate to have been able to do this together.

Thank goodness you had your GRD III - so we get to live vicariously with these super photographs.

Happy Independence Day weekend and I can't wait to see more of your trip! These are going to be priceless, you know that.

Thanks BBW. I'm now recovering while at work. I'm on a 3 day layover in Maui as I'm writing this!!! Had a day and a half off before putting the pilot suit on again. BTW, here's the link again to the Flickr photostream:

Philmont Hiking Trip

Here's another teaser: (maybe a little bright, might have to redo this one.)

5896397403_70c9e6944f_z.jpg

Hope you get some good R&R.:D

P.S. Thanks for the link - I will look through a little now but will do the whole trip later..or what you've got up so far. 12 people coming for Independence Day weekend celebrations and I must prepare!

Hope you get some good R&R.:D

P.S. Thanks for the link - I will look through a little now but will do the whole trip later..or what you've got up so far. 12 people coming for Independence Day weekend celebrations and I must prepare!

I hope your weekend goes well. If everything goes as planned I will be in San Fran in time for the fireworks, if they have any.

Here's a more subdued old wagon:

View attachment 38622

Time to head to bed. I will post my Maui sunset shots tomorrow! :D

Back