Ricoh Ricoh GRDV to Feature an APS-C Sensor!

Any news from Ricoh is interesting as they've been testing my patience over the past year... What will be more interesting is how they are planning on differentiating this from a GXR 28mm module, is it only going to be more MP, faster lens, slightly smaller or will it be something really new.

In the current market the Ricoh line of cameras is dated. Who is going to buy a new GXR today? The GRD may remain popular, but there are many other small sensor compacts to choose from. APS fixed-lens compacts are the new baseline.

Would love to see a B&W version of an APS GRD.

Late to the game and into a pretty busy market space. The X1 has been out for some time as have others and the RX1 shows where the market will move to. A GRDV (same size as the IV) with the Sony RX100 sensor, an outstanding and fast prime lens and Nikon 1 fast AF would meet more of a demand/need, at least in my opinion.

In the current market the Ricoh line of cameras is dated. Who is going to buy a new GXR today? The GRD may remain popular, but there are many other small sensor compacts to choose from. APS fixed-lens compacts are the new baseline.

Would love to see a B&W version of an APS GRD.

I haven't a clue what will happen to the GXR line. If Ricoh is still serious about the system, they may have a refresh announcement this year for the body and maybe sensor updates for the A12 units as well as new units (maybe a Pentax K mount which would make the most sense). I'm just glad Ricoh is moving ahead with the GRD line.

Paul

Late to the game and into a pretty busy market space. The X1 has been out for some time as have others and the RX1 shows where the market will move to. A GRDV (same size as the IV) with the Sony RX100 sensor, an outstanding and fast prime lens and Nikon 1 fast AF would meet more of a demand/need, at least in my opinion.

Being an RX1 owner, I agree that larger sensors in smaller bodies is where the market is heading. I do think however there is a lot of room for APS-C compacts (X1, Fuji, etc. have shown this to be true). I do however think that the audience for the Sony RX100 is different than that for the Ricoh GRD. The RX100 is a consumer camera meant to appeal to people who want something better than their phone camera but not as big as a DSLR. Ricoh GRD is directed more towards experienced photographers who are looking for a capable compact that can be customized and designed the way they want and operates using the same nomenclature as a DSLR.

As an aside, the sensor in the RX100 is smaller than an APS-C sized sensor. I would have been happy if Ricoh had opted for the 1" sensor (found in the RX1 and Nikon 1 family) for the GRD but using an APS-C sensor adds additional years to the GRD line in that Ricoh won't have to worry about a sensor change for some time to come (APS-C sensors will be around for a long time). This will allow Ricoh to upgrade (when appropriate) to better APS-C sensors when they become available but not have to change the physical characteristics of the camera itself. While I love my RX1, using a full-frame sensor would also necessitate a larger body and definitely a larger lens and I think this is something that would go against the grain of the GRD philosophy and approach.

Paul

hmmm...

My first thought was "great!" but the more I think about it, the GRDs filled quite a niche. How can you do snap focus with such a larger sensor. Zone focusing was easy with the compact sensor. Is it going to be 28mm eq? This FL is a bit crowded with some quality ASP-C offerings. Unless they make it super-bright. I'm trying to think about what would make you want a likely larger GRDV at 28mm over any of the other contenders.

Back