1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ricoh GXR - Bench with a View

Discussion in 'Ricoh GXR Forum' started by Duane Pandorf, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Duane Pandorf

Duane Pandorf SC Top Veteran

Apr 25, 2011
    Western NC
    Taken while we were camping in Southern California. This is a bench in one of the city parks at Laguna Beach.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    Love that colour and so wish I was there instead of the murky UK!

3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Very nice Duane. Trying to decide if I'd like it more or less with more DOF and the background in focus too - its a beautiful landscape beyond the bench after all. But I like it fine as is. What lens and aperture?

-Ray

4. Duane Pandorf

Apr 25, 2011
    Western NC
    I probably should have taken a couple other shots at different apertures but this is what I got. I have a Leica Summicron 35mm v2 attached all the time now on my GXR. Shot at f2.

5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Beautiful view and composition. My first thought was that I would have preferred a greater depth-of-field but then the bench would get a bit lost. A slightly tighter crop would remove the smeary and darker edges but still keep to the original intent of the composition.

6. Duane Pandorf

Apr 25, 2011
    Western NC
    Thanks Nic. I added a slight vignette which adds a bit of darkness around the edges. But then again this was shot middle of the afternoon wide open with a 6 stop ND filter.

7. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    Cool shot, Duane. Love the color and I think the shallow DoF gives this one a cool ambience. Especially interesting for me, because I have been trying to figure out how to utilize medium DoF for my landscape type shots.

8. Duane Pandorf

Apr 25, 2011
    Western NC
    Thanks Kyle!

9. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Put me in the camp that likes the shallow DOF here. I mean, we all know what the view looks like. I think the hard focus on the bench invites the viewer to figuratively have a seat and enjoy the view themselves.....surely one can conjure up a memory of a beautiful like this. The vignette may be a bit strong, but I think it helps to draw us into the warm sunny glow of that bench and it whisks me away from my miserable job...... if only for 10 minutes. I need a vacation.

it's also nearly an optical illusion that this is just a set piece in front of a backdrop which I also think is cool.

10. Duane Pandorf

Apr 25, 2011
    Western NC
    Thanks Luke. That's kind of the idea I had with this lens.