1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

RIP BB King

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Ray Sachs, May 15, 2015.

1. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Sad sad day today.

I first saw BB in 1977 (which is frighteningly close to 40 years ago - good Lord) in a small club in Seattle and saw him a few times over the next 20 years or so. Hadn't seen him in a long time and every time he came around I'd think "I should go see him - I'm not gonna have too many more chances". I guess that'll never happen now, but I'm happy I was able to when I did.

That guy had the sweetest vibrato of any blues player I ever heard. He could say more with one note than most guys could with 100. Not the rawest blues guy out there - we had Muddy Waters for that, but just an incredible sound from that semi-hollow Gibson.

He's gone, but as long as his music lives on, the thrill is NOT gone!

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  2. qhs232

qhs232 SC Regular

Oct 6, 2013
    Metro Detroit
    Gary
    He's gone, but as long as his music lives on, the thrill is NOT gone!

-Ray[/QUOTE]

Amen

3. demiro

demiro Serious Compacts For Life

Dec 15, 2011
    My wife had BB cranking at 7AM this morning after hearing the news. We saw him quite a few times back in the 90s. No one played blues guitar like him. As Ray points out, just a smooth and sweet sound.

4. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I saw B.B. King a number of times over the years, the first in the early 1970s and the latest in 2009. I was never disappointed. Here's a sample of the man at work in his prime.

5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    That's great Steve. I've been wearing out YouTube over the past couple of days. Here's a really nice medley with Bobby Bland, from about the time I first saw him, in '77. He'd put on a bit of girth since your earlier video. This is sort of cleaned up for TV, but I always loved the way BB and Bobby sang together...

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  6. MiguelATF

MiguelATF SC Top Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Talent, Oregon (far from the madding crowd)
    Miguel Tejada-Flores
    He's still the King.