1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

RIP Pentax K-01

Discussion in 'Other Interchangeable-Lens Systems' started by wolffy, Feb 27, 2013.

1. wolffy

wolffy New to SC

Jan 20, 2012
    Saint Paul, MN, USA
    Ron Wolfgram
    It is now listed as a discontinued model in Pentax's web site and the post-mortum already in progress over at the Pentax K-01 - PentaxForums.com. DPRiview formes have been bashing this fine camera for most of the week Pentax Ricoh discontinues K-01 K-mount mirrorless camera: Digital Photography Review

OK before the first reply which is going to be something about how ugly it is. This is really a good camera with identical APS sensor as the pentax K5 SLR. Ricoh/Pentax took a chance and it didnt work out. Anyone else have one? I have the yellow one and it is really a fun camera.
    K01-L.

Ron Wolfgram
    Saint Paul, MN, USA

• Like Like x 1
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    I like the design and was tempted by the recent deep discounts. We definitely have some members who own them.

3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I was also tempted by the discounts, but in the end I value a viewfinder too much so I bought a K-30.

4. wolffy

wolffy New to SC

Jan 20, 2012
    Saint Paul, MN, USA
    Ron Wolfgram
    It is a great companion camera for a pentax user I have a K5 and a bunch of lenses. mostly use it as my macro camera, with legacy lenses. focus peaking is great for macro
    just checked today, $299 for body only at B&H free shipping, while supplys last. That's the price of a P&S camera. I actually ordered one up (white) because I want the 40mm pancake lens which are going for $496
    K-01 kit with that lens is $358.

Ron Wolfgram
    Saint Paul, MN, USA

• Like Like x 1
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
  6. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Well, I've got one. I understand Luke's concerns about the lack of an EVF and, in truth, I would have preferred one as well. But the $300 pricetag was just too strong an incentive when the image quality is in K-5/K-30 territory. I tend to use mine with the DA Limited primes, usually at family events indoors or when very bright sunlight isn't an issue. And, here's something: With all the talk about slow auto-focus (vastly improved with two firmware updates), none of my lenses require focus correction as some do on my K-5. So contrast-detection auto-focus is good for something! I bought the black body-only. I didn't buy the 40 XS lens because I have a DA 40 Limited. But I kind of wish I did because I'll bet that lens on a K-01 body will become something of a collector's item. $250 is too much for the lens alone, though. There's still time to pick one up - in virtually any color, with or without the 40 XS. So if anyone is having second thoughts, act now. :biggrin:

7. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    I bought the latest black one, used, without lens. I have the Pentax-M 50mm, F1.7, that I've had for many years, just laying around. They made a nice marriage. Do wish I had the "40".

Pentax's mistake, was in visual design, not the functional one. The only issue I have, is the flash. With the manual lens, I can't get the flash to give consistent exposure. But with the ability to use 1600 ISO, (which I never thought I would use) I am not too handicapped. And I have the E-p2 with FL36 for those duties.

I am getting better results with the "Ugly Duckling", than I have ever gotten before.

PENTAX: Make a few "PHOTOGRAPHER" changes, and bring us the next generation!

Thank you in advance,

8. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto SC Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    When the K-01 was first announced I thought it was an overpriced joke and agreed 100 percent with all the reviews that made fun of that brick of a camera. When the priced dropped to less than $350 with the 40mm lens and $299 for the body only I couldn't resist. I quickly fell in love with the K-01 even though I have several Olympus Pen cameras, the OM-D, and used to own a NEX-3 before I sold it last year and had the NEX-6 on loan for a while ... all of which have better AF than the K-01.

The K-01 is a great photographic tool with fantastic image quality in spite of its quirky design (or perhaps -- at least in part -- because of its quirky design). I liked the K-01 so much I bought a second K-01 body and more Pentax lenses to take advantage of these GREAT cameras.

Technology is always moving forward and I'm sure my love affair with the K-01 will eventually end, but for now I'll keep using and enjoying the K-01 even if it's not officially part of the current Pentax lineup anymore.

9. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Cameras like the K-01 and Nikon V1 should have been priced lower than what they began with. Now that they are both in the sub-400's, they are great buys!

10. wolffy

wolffy New to SC

Jan 20, 2012
    Saint Paul, MN, USA
    Ron Wolfgram
    I hear you steve
    Run that sensor up to max 25600 it still looks good. having that range really changes the game. its a great camera.

[​IMG]

This image is from the Cody night Rodeo. shot at iso 25600.

11. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    They are great buys at those prices for sure, but I wonder if they would have ever existed if Nikon or Pentax thought they would only sell for that much. The K-01 surely couldn't be viable at the current prices which this piece of news would indicate.