roadside memorials

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by davect01, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Happened to stop on the road, (pee break) and noticed these roadside memorials.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Abandoned battery

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  2. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Stark, very very stark! Your colour treatment reflects the subject very well.

Thanks for sharing Dave!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Interesting stuff. I did a project on roadside memorials a few years ago. There was a spate of RTAs in and around my area and it was fashionable (still is in some quarters) to mark the spot with an impromptu shrine. It felt a little ghoulish, however and quite depressing. I gave up after an exchange with a woman who had lost someone. She came across me photographing her shrine when she came to refresh the flowers. I explained what I was doing and why and apologised for any inadvertent offence. She said quite the contrary, and asked for a print to help her remember.

Regards,

Bill

• Like Like x 3
  4. I thought it showed the bleakness well. Being in the desert adds a bit to that as well.

Had not thought about that as a project. I see a few on the raod and it always makes me think for a moment how grateful I am.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Another marker that I ran across. Kind of on the lookout now as i drive around.

I also will help clean up the site a bit if needed. This one the flower pot had fallen over.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Very thought provoking, and sad.

7. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    France is full of such memorials - indicating the skill, (lack of), of French drivers, (motorists) and the high speeds at which they drive on narrow "country roads"

• Like Like x 1
  8. AzPete

AzPete SC Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    hey Dave, youre in Arizona? me too. I thought road side memorials were illegal. Guess not, cause I see them all over too.
    Well done, thanks for the shots
    Pete

9. no idea

I had never heard this. Here is the most updated info I could find(2007):

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/blogs/roomfordebate/State_Roadside_Mem_Laws.pdf

According to this it is illegal in AZ, yet those have been there for a while. Probably one of those things that are illegal, but no one bothers to move/remove them.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AzPete

AzPete SC Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    yup, thanks. just goes to show you its a touchy thing, moving those memorials....thanks