roadside memorials

Happened to stop on the road, (pee break) and noticed these roadside memorials.

DSC08849.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC08838.JPG

DSC08842.JPG

Abandoned battery

DSC08846.JPG

DSC08847.JPG

Interesting stuff. I did a project on roadside memorials a few years ago. There was a spate of RTAs in and around my area and it was fashionable (still is in some quarters) to mark the spot with an impromptu shrine. It felt a little ghoulish, however and quite depressing. I gave up after an exchange with a woman who had lost someone. She came across me photographing her shrine when she came to refresh the flowers. I explained what I was doing and why and apologised for any inadvertent offence. She said quite the contrary, and asked for a print to help her remember.

Regards,

Bill

Stark, very very stark! Your colour treatment reflects the subject very well.

Thanks for sharing Dave!

I thought it showed the bleakness well. Being in the desert adds a bit to that as well.

Interesting stuff. I did a project on roadside memorials a few years ago. There was a spate of RTAs in and around my area and it was fashionable (still is in some quarters) to mark the spot with an impromptu shrine. It felt a little ghoulish, however and quite depressing. I gave up after an exchange with a woman who had lost someone. She came across me photographing her shrine when she came to refresh the flowers. I explained what I was doing and why and apologised for any inadvertent offence. She said quite the contrary, and asked for a print to help her remember.

Regards,

Bill

Had not thought about that as a project. I see a few on the raod and it always makes me think for a moment how grateful I am.

France is full of such memorials - indicating the skill, (lack of), of French drivers, (motorists) and the high speeds at which they drive on narrow "country roads"

hey Dave, youre in Arizona? me too. I thought road side memorials were illegal. Guess not, cause I see them all over too.
Well done, thanks for the shots
Pete

no idea

hey Dave, youre in Arizona? me too. I thought road side memorials were illegal. Guess not, cause I see them all over too.
Well done, thanks for the shots
Pete

I had never heard this. Here is the most updated info I could find(2007):

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/blogs/roomfordebate/State_Roadside_Mem_Laws.pdf

According to this it is illegal in AZ, yet those have been there for a while. Probably one of those things that are illegal, but no one bothers to move/remove them.

Back