Sony Rookie

bmw

Hi ! I'm an amateur photographer, planning to purchase a Sony RX100 M2 soon. What kind of memory card should I get ? Taking pics of everything including some sports, some short video . What speed and size do I need ? Will be travelling for up to a month at a time ? Thanks.

I use Sandisk Extreme sdhc class 10 30ms/sec, for video HD I wouldn't get any lower than class 10. Don't know what country your in but Amazon Uk are doing them for £11.83 at the moment. Bargain. Couple of them will keep you going a while

If you are shooting raw, the cards will fill up pretty quickly - I am nervous about big cards as a matter of temperament but I'd use at least 16GB for raw and I'm actually using 32GB.

I did some continuous shooting comparisons with 95mbps read/write and 45mbps read/write SanDisk cards and found no advantage with the faster card, and I would guess that the camera can't actually write at speeds fast enough to take full advantage of even the 45mbps card; I'd guess it maxes out at 30mbps, as long as that is both the write speed and the read speed (not all Xmpbs cards actually write at the same speed they read, which is often the advertised speed).

Buy from a very reputable source - there are a lot of counterfeit cards out there. :(

Welcome to the forum BMW! You got yourself a nice camera there! Looking forward to seeing your photos.

I'd get the fastest possible card that is still reasonably priced. The problem with SD cards is the nomenclature used to describe performances: class 12, 40x, 45 mbps, etc... I still have a hard time figuring out what's what!

That being said, I typically like to have two cards of 16 gigs vs. one card of 32 gigs. Or two cards of 8 vs. one of 16. I like having multiple cards, because memory cards will fail from time to time. If a card fails, I'd rather lose 16 gigs worth of photos in it as opposed to 32 gigs. For the file sizes that you'll get with a 20 mp camera such as the RX100M2, I'd stick with at multiple cards of 16 gigs.

I've rarely ever taken any videos, so I have no idea how much space videos take.

My favorite cards are the Panasonic Gold. I also like SanDisk.

Hi BMW - I'd get several ie 3 or 4 if I were you- not because you will necessarily exhaust all of them in one day but its always good to have back ups

I'd recommend the San Disk extremes class 10 ones - and get a couple or three of 16gb and if your budget will allow it one 32gb

memory card

Hi BMW - I'd get several ie 3 or 4 if I were you- not because you will necessarily exhaust all of them in one day but its always good to have back ups

I'd recommend the San Disk extremes class 10 ones - and get a couple or three of 16gb and if your budget will allow it one 32gb

Thanks for all the reply, its very helpful especially the one about NO difference between a 90 and a 45 mb/s card, I will get two SanDisk extreme
45mb/s ,16 G .

Two supplemental thoughts...

Although some people will give you technical reasons for their disagreement with this, I really believe, based on more than a decade of experience, that any file- and format-related operations should be performed in the camera, and never on a computer. Best case for reliability IMHO is to format in the camera and never erase, but even I don't follow that advice. If you must erase, and when you format, do it in the camera. I have (knock on wood) never had a card problem and I have always performed file operations this way.

Second, although I think the RX100 probably can't take advantage of a card faster than 30/30mbps, I still have some of my original cards and they're essentially unusable because they're so darned slow. Cards tend to outlast cameras. That being the case, it may make economic sense to buy a faster card than the camera can use, since the camera that replaces the camera you bought the card for may very well be able to use the faster speed. 😁

Back