Panasonic Rumor - Panasonic LX8

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and some more rumoured specs to ponder. This camera sounds pretty interesting.

- Lens will be a 24 – 90 f2 – f2.8

- Will be 3% larger than the LX7

- Will have a swivel touch screen with touch to focus and capture features

- Updated processing engine enhancing JPEG output

- EVF built in, no hotshot

- Automatic Lenscap

- built-in 3 stop ND filter

...and some more rumoured specs to ponder. This camera sounds pretty interesting.

- Lens will be a 24 – 90 f2 – f2.8

- Will be 3% larger than the LX7

- Will have a swivel touch screen with touch to focus and capture features

- Updated processing engine enhancing JPEG output

- EVF built in, no hotshot

- Automatic Lenscap

- built-in 3 stop ND filter

Hadn't heard about the size or the swivel (flip or fully articulated - I'm guessing flip) or the auto lens-cap. If they keep all of the other key stuff from the LX7 and maybe add some auto ISO functionality, this could be an amazing little walk around, light travel camera. And if they still offer a wide angle alternative for it, this could replace some stuff in my bag. It's already great for zone focus - if they add one or two auto-ISO features, this could take up a lot of my good light street shooting. Not that I'm LOOKING for an alternative to the Nikon A, but if it does the job as well and several other jobs too, it could go out by itself or with the RX1 and handle 99% of what I do. And depending on how well it handles portraits at 90mm, it could actually replace some gear and further lighten my already light load...

3% larger? Wow. I'd have been happy with 10-20% larger - 3% should be imperceptible... And if the EVF is decent...

-Ray

Yeah, if the rumors are accurate the LX8 will be at the top of my list. I'm really thinking more and more about dumping everything for one good "serious compact". The RX100m3 doesn't quite get me there, nor does the Canon G1Xmk2. But the rumored LX8 and X30 with 1" sensors make me think I can do it. We'll see soon enough.

I guess there's no need to wait for that camera. Just pick up a GX7 and use the lens of your choice on it. :)

You'll have to point me to the 24-90/2-2.8 lens that's almost totally collapsible.

I know you were kidding, but it does help to highlight how ridiculous the specs are on these new compact cameras. I'm with NIc completely. A m4/3s sensor + 20% in size with the rumored lens specs...I'm all in. I'd pay a lot for that camera. Probably too much.

I guess there's no need to wait for that camera. Just pick up a GX7 and use the lens of your choice on it. :)

Ha, close but not quite :). Having used the Canon G1X alongside various Micro 4/3 zooms both smaller and larger, the interchangeable lenses just don't offer the same size/specs/performance of a fixed lens that can collapse fully into the camera's body.

The idea of a swiveling screen (a la G1X) also has me interested but I would be surprised if it wasn't just the tilting screen like the GX7 and many others.

M43 would be nice, but I'm really fine with the 1" sensor (at least the Sony version - we'll have to see what Panasonic is using and how it compares) except in the very lowest of light. And for certain types of shots, even in pretty low light. This could conceivably be a pretty steady walk around used mostly at 28mm, sometimes at 24 or 35, and out to 90 for the occasional portrait or short tele shot. 50 and 70mm would probably rot for lack of use. And if there's a decent add-on that gets you to 21, that could cover a frightening percentage of my shooting.

But I'll have to see it and shoot with it for a while before I'd even think about shedding anything else. And I'd probably end up using it very little or not at all. So this is really all just random fantasy for me, at least based on all past experience. But I've been waiting to see Panasonic's version of this camera since aboiut a minute and a half after the original RX100 hit the street a couple of years ago... So I'm excited on principle, whether it ends up mattering to me in practice or not.

-Ray

M43 would be nice, but I'm really fine with the 1" sensor (at least the Sony version - we'll have to see what Panasonic is using and how it compares) -Ray

Aren't Panasonic and Fuji working on an organic sensor together? I'm sure it won't be introduced in this camera. But wouldn't it be something it was? It might have more initial impact in the LX8 than in micro four thirds or APS-C. Still, the last I heard, the new sensor was still two years away. And even that was only a rumor.

That's pretty solid self-awareness Ray. I'm impressed!

It's hard won bro... I've bought too many of these little cameras and too many zoom lenses and almost never ended up using them to really think this time would be different. Of course the other thing that would be really different this time is if I don't end up buying one despite all of this and learning the lesson yet again. So, one way or another, something's gotta give! :D

And, in fairness to myself, the LX5 and LX7 are my very favorite of this type of camera and I might well have used them more if the sensors held up better to what else was available at the time - in fact I did use the LX5 a lot for quite a while. It was just tough to stay with the LX7 once once the Nikon A and Ricoh GR showed up despite it's greater versatility. There's something about the combination of step zoom, memory for things like zoom and MF distance, aperture ring, multi-aspect sensor with a selector right on the lens barell, etc, that made this the least "zoomey" of any zoom camera I've ever used. So there's a chance this could break through my feeble mind's inability to handle having a zoom in my hands. If ANY camera would do it, it would probably be this one. If that were to work, I could easily see myself walking around with the RX1 and the LX8 much of the time and for a LOT of travel. The LX8 for most wider and occasional longer focal lengths and the RX1 for the sterling IQ shots and low light shooting. Depending on a couple of details in it's interface, it might even be able to supplant the Nikon A for most street work, although there's not much cost to carrying the Nikon too - it's smaller than the LX7...

Of course all of this is dependent on the sensor being basically as good as or better than the one in the RX100 and RX10. I don't know where Pany is getting their sensor for this or what it's capabilities will be. If it's more like the one in the Nikon J1 / V1, I'll probably skip it...

-Ray

I had a preorder in for the RX100M3 and cancelled it after reading more about the LX8. Interesting times.

You'll have to point me to the 24-90/2-2.8 lens that's almost totally collapsible.

There is no 24-90mm/2-2.8 lens which is almost totally collapsible on any camera. One can combine the physical focal length with the physical aperture and one can combine the equivalent focal length with the equivalent aperture. But one must not mix that up. Thus, nobody has to point you to such a lens.

There is no 24-90mm/2-2.8 lens which is almost totally collapsible on any camera. One can combine the physical focal length with the physical aperture and one can combine the equivalent focal length with the equivalent aperture. But one must not mix that up. Thus, nobody has to point you to such a lens.

Tomato Potato. I know that you know what I mean, but for the sake of pedantism let me rephrase that by asking if there is an m4/3s lens that I can slap on a GM1 that will give me the same attributes as the rumored lens on the rumored LX8? And by attributes I mean effective range, size, speed.

I would think that the GM1 (body) is actually smaller than the LX7 and it has less external controls. To me the Canon G1X is the perfect prototype for this kind of camera (I find the RX100 too small) but in creating the G1X MkII I think that Canon tried to reinvent the wheel too much compared to the original, even if the faster lens and touchscreen looked on paper to represent a big upgrade.

... let me rephrase that by asking if there is an m4/3s lens that I can slap on a GM1 that will give me the same attributes as the rumored lens on the rumored LX8? ....

That was not the statement I replied to. Nic said 20% bigger than the LX7 with an µ4/3 sensor. And the GM1 with the kit lens are about as big as that.

However, you still have to show a 24-90mm/2-2.8 lens which is totally collapsible.

I'm cautiously optimistic with this camera. The rumoured specs look great so far with a very long list of really interesting features. But my interest is perhaps piqued a little more than usual because I feel that Panasonic, after a couple of really dull years is on something of a roll with some really excellent releases.

The GH4.....absolutely top shelf, class leading native 4K video (and superb stills too) in a 'reasonable' price bracket.
The GX7....not only the first Panasonic to have IBIS but the first m43 camera with a rangefinder-esque type body and built in EVF (and just an all-round fantastic camera in general)
The GM1....really pushed the boundaries in terms of 'how small can we go' whilst simultaneously managing to be a very attractive and very capable little unit.

...and then there are the lenses too...

The 2 'premium' zooms, the first of their kind in the format....and of course, the 42.5 f1.2 Nocticron, not only the fastest AF lens in the format, but according to many reviewers, perhaps one of the best if not THE best 'traditional portrait focal length' primes made !

...but they've also been doing well in the sensor department too. Take for example the Panasonic sensors in the GX7 and the EM1.....they have matched (perhaps even marginally exceeded) the Sony sensor in the GH3 and EM5 for high ISO noise performance but numerous tests have also shown the new Panasonic sensor in the GX7 and EM1 has a distinct advantage when it comes to colour retention at high ISO.....with files holding on for a couple of extra stops before they begin to crumble and turn to high ISO colour vomit. Not a HUGE advance sure, but certainly shows that Panasonic is still up there with Sony sensor tech.

After a few years that many consider have been mostly dull and uninspiring for Panasonic....(GX1, G3, GF2/3 etc....and more boring kit zooms)...it seams as though they may have their mojo back ! This coupled with the rumoured specs we are seeing filter through makes me think that the LX8 could indeed turn out to something really really excellent.....like an RX100, but really enjoyable to use !

I'm cautiously optimistic with this camera. The rumoured specs look great so far with a very long list of really interesting features. But my interest is perhaps piqued a little more than usual because I feel that Panasonic, after a couple of really dull years is on something of a roll with some really excellent releases.

The GH4.....absolutely top shelf, class leading native 4K video (and superb stills too) in a 'reasonable' price bracket.
The GX7....not only the first Panasonic to have IBIS but the first m43 camera with a rangefinder-esque type body and built in EVF (and just an all-round fantastic camera in general)
The GM1....really pushed the boundaries in terms of 'how small can we go' whilst simultaneously managing to be a very attractive and very capable little unit.

...and then there are the lenses too...

The 2 'premium' zooms, the first of their kind in the format....and of course, the 42.5 f1.2 Nocticron, not only the fastest AF lens in the format, but according to many reviewers, perhaps one of the best if not THE best 'traditional portrait focal length' primes made !

...but they've also been doing well in the sensor department too. Take for example the Panasonic sensors in the GX7 and the EM1.....they have matched (perhaps even marginally exceeded) the Sony sensor in the GH3 and EM5 for high ISO noise performance but numerous tests have also shown the new Panasonic sensor in the GX7 and EM1 has a distinct advantage when it comes to colour retention at high ISO.....with files holding on for a couple of extra stops before they begin to crumble and turn to high ISO colour vomit. Not a HUGE advance sure, but certainly shows that Panasonic is still up there with Sony sensor tech.

After a few years that many consider have been mostly dull and uninspiring for Panasonic....(GX1, G3, GF2/3 etc....and more boring kit zooms)...it seams as though they may have their mojo back ! This coupled with the rumoured specs we are seeing filter through makes me think that the LX8 could indeed turn out to something really really excellent.....like an RX100, but really enjoyable to use !
Not to mention the new "DFD" focussing system that seems to combine the best aspects of CDAF and PDAF by using the OOF information to calculate just HOW out of focus a subject is and therefore calculate and travel to the IN FOCUS spot more quickly. This is in the new FZ1000 and it would seem a no-brainer that it's also in the LX8. This system seems to be 'da bomb in it's first iteration in the GH4 and looks like a much more elegant solution to getting tracking AF at DSLR levels out of mirrorless cameras without using hybrid PDAF/CDAF systems. I haven't used it, but I've read nothing but positives about it and am excited about how good it can be. Also, DPR has confirmed that the 1" sensor in the FZ1000 is the same spec as the Sony chip in the RX100 and RX10, so they're probably just using the same Sony chip. Which I consider to be extremely good news, since I can't imagine they'd be using a different chip in the LX8.

I still prefer Oly bodies for m43, but not by much any more, and I've always thought the LX series was the best executed small cameras I'd ever seen. So I'm getting really excited about the potential of the LX8.

-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back