Sony Rumors of a next RX100??

wt21

Hall of Famer
I read on the rumors site that a new RX100 version might be coming.

Though I generally don't like the power on / power off slowness of a compact camera, there is no denying I've REALLY appreciated this camera -- it's size vs. performance ratio is simply unmatched, IMO.

If they came out with a new version, what could they realistically do to improve it?

Maybe a better sensor, though many times, I've seen "new" sensors be worse than the old one!
If they kept ISO and bit depth and MP the same, but somehow increased DR even 1/2 stop, that'd be certainly welcome.

Given the RX100 uses standard Sony controls, I don't think I can realistically expect any improvement there.

I don't need a built in grip. I am happy supplying my own solution.

I'm also fine with the movie modes, LCD, etc.

I think the only thing I'd like to see is if (somehow) they were able to brighten up the lens, especially at the long end. f/4.9 is just a little slow. Maybe get it down to 3.2?? and/or get in a little extra zoom. I think that'd be about the only reason I'd consider an upgrade.

I think the only thing I'd like to see is if (somehow) they were able to brighten up the lens, especially at the long end. f/4.9 is just a little slow.

Definitely this... if they could get it down to f/2.8 at the long end, it would be superb.

The ND filter would also be a nice idea.

Argh. Yes, I missed that one.

OK, two things I'd love to see, and this is all I would need:
  • Faster at the long end. Doesn't even need more zoom, just f/3.5 or 2.8 (if possible)
  • Faster shutter speed (1/4000) and/or ND filter

I would take better macro, but not if it in any way compromised the current image quality, speed of the lens or zoom range.

At it's current size and proportions the RX100 is never going to appeal to me so I wouldn't comment about what it's replacement should be. I just think that Sony could make more use out of the 1" sensor. Put it in a body one size up with a decent grip, better controls, a faster and/or longer reach lens and you'd go a long way towards having a very decent camera.

Put it in a body one size up with a decent grip, better controls, a faster and/or longer reach lens and you'd go a long way towards having a very decent camera.

That's a very interesting idea! I like my RX100 as my go-anywhere camera, but a bigger version using the excellent sensor, but with a faster lens, and dial controls would be very nice too.

I hope that Sony are reading this thread...:)

At it's current size and proportions the RX100 is never going to appeal to me.
What too small Nic? Jeez mate you sure you're in the right Forum? ;)

My vote for a faster tele end and top shutter speed but I'm otherwise happy. If given the choice then I'd agree with:
But I'd like to really see Sony build a Coolpix A rival RX10 with a Zeiss 35mm or 28mm

...Be a nice companion to my T3. Though I fear my new X100s wouldn't be too happy. :redface:

I'm pretty sure that the current one is too small for me as well, but I'll let you all know on Tuesday :cool:

Anyways, I'd also like a bigger one with a nice grip and a faster lens (or longer or both).

At it's current size and proportions the RX100 is never going to appeal to me so I wouldn't comment about what it's replacement should be. I just think that Sony could make more use out of the 1" sensor. Put it in a body one size up with a decent grip, better controls, a faster and/or longer reach lens and you'd go a long way towards having a very decent camera.
I'd do it just a little differently - just give it to Panasonic and have them build a half size larger version of the LX7 with the same spec but built around the 1" sensor. That would actually result in a wider, rather than longer lens, but if they want to do two versions with one for you and one for me, I wouldn't object! :D

Actually, I've been calling for something like this since the RX100 appeared, but with cameras like the GR and Coolpix A showing up, I probably wouldn't buy a compact zoom anyway. So I guess I don't really care all that much what they do.

-Ray

24-90mm equiv. focal length f1.4-2.4, max shutter speed 1/4000, ND filter. Possibility for an external EVF. This would make this shirt pocket size cam a very serious contender well above its weight and size class (mft, aps-c with kit zoom). Ok, or what Ray says, make it the LX8, so there is no need to rebuild the camera, just give Panasonic the excellent Sony sensor.

I doubt Panasonic will go to Sony in sensors for the LX8, in my opinion the best candidate that would have a shot at the 1 inch sensor with a fast lens is Olympus perhaps in the XZ3, with tilt screen and optional VF4 :D

I'd do it just a little differently - just give it to Panasonic and have them build a half size larger version of the LX7 with the same spec but built around the 1" sensor. That would actually result in a wider, rather than longer lens, but if they want to do two versions with one for you and one for me, I wouldn't object! :D

Actually, I've been calling for something like this since the RX100 appeared, but with cameras like the GR and Coolpix A showing up, I probably wouldn't buy a compact zoom anyway. So I guess I don't really care all that much what they do.

-Ray

Wider, longer, either really. I can just see something exactly like the Nikon P7700 but with the 1" sensor and a suitable lens, something with a higher spec than the RX100 since there is more available real estate on a larger body. I think this is more likely to happen if Sony makes the 1" sensor available as a "customer" item like they do their 16mp APS-C and 1/1.7" sensors.

The Canon G1X has been a terrific camera albeit with a few foibles, but it still sits in a class-of-one as a larger sensor, fixed-lens zoom camera. Competition never hurts.

24-90mm equiv. focal length f1.4-2.4, max shutter speed 1/4000, ND filter. Possibility for an external EVF. This would make this shirt pocket size cam
... no longer a shirt pocket cam, lol.

There is certainly a group that wants this sensor in a different camera, but I like this cam size, and am thinking more about the little tweaks needed for this camera, rather than a completely different camera.

Frankly I'd like to see Sony just make minor changes into the RX100 just a slightly better handing addition of ND and improved macro. Like I said before Olympus will probably get the first crack at the Sony 1 inch sensor.

Three things offhand. Either a ND or a faster shutter speed. Sometimes even stopped down all the way it's still overexposed even manually cranked down to ISO 80. In DMF mode with peaking on, don't peak until the user uses the ring to focus. Make it smaller. It's the lens hump that gets in the way. Make the lens retract all the way including the ring. There's no reason the ring couldn't pop in and out too. I doubt this can happen. Laws of physics. It was a feat that they were able to make a lens this bright for a sensor this big in a package this small. Look at the XZ-1 and LX7. They have much larger humps for much smaller sensors.

It was a feat that they were able to make a lens this bright for a sensor this big in a package this small. Look at the XZ-1 and LX7. They have much larger humps for much smaller sensors.

Yeah, but also much faster lenses with sharper corners, faster particularly once you move beyond the wide end of the lens. There are always tradeoffs...

-Ray

Back