1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Running through Paris. Strolling wasn't an option.

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Boid, May 3, 2012.

1. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    These pics are taken with a bridge camera, the Sony DSCR1. Rated quite highly when it was released, I haven't found too many people using it though. It has a great 24-120 (2.8-4.8) Carl Zeiss lens and a quirky but cool (IMO) articulated LCD panel on the top of the camera, where the hot shoe is generally located. It also has an APSC sensor and shoots RAW.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Review: Digital Photography Review

Immortalized Parisian mafia boss
    KewAF.

He had a light. From on top of Montmartre
    NIEZc.

I M Pei's secret underground inverted pyramid at the Louvre
    aHpxv.

Inside the Pompidou Center. All the services in this building are exposed to create an "inside out" building. Very cool.
    yDtuJ.

Outside the Pompidou Center. This building was immensely satisfying to shoot.
    iwtTL.

On the rooftop of the Pompidou Center, the Japanese architect Shigeru Ban had built his temporary site office out of paper tubes. The tubular structure seen to the right.
    jNaZZh.

School kids checking out an art installation at the Musee National Picasso
    qw1yIh.

This is as close as I got to robbing the Mona Lisa. Don't visit Paris in May. No, seriously.
    3dWGGh.

I miss my dog.
    LMoVE.

• Like Like x 10
  2. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Very nice! I don't see you running though! :) Are you going to post some color ones?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    Oh I was running everywhere. Too much to see and do. Too many things to photograph :smile:

Here's a full colour picture of an exhibit in the Louvre. Strangely orange Egyptian priest.

x5khb.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    If someone would make that camera today, I would buy it. APS-C sensor with killer glass and that LCD on top is a function I dream about. I like top down framing......

• Like Like x 1
  5. pictogramax

pictogramax SC Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Belgrade, Serbia
    It's quite a capable camera! In your hands, that is:smile: I especially liked school kids and Mona Lisa.

I don't have luck with Paris - been there several times, but cannot seem to make a decent pic even though there's tons of opportunities on every corner. I maybe have two or three half-decent shots from a few hundreds I took:frown:

Oh, and a title for the first is great:wink:

6. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    I just have much lower standards than you. Thankfully I am a better architect than a photographer (at least I hope so). :biggrin:

Do post your pictures of Paris, would love to see them.

7. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    Sony launched their Alpha DSLRs just after this camera and must have felt that it would eat into their DSLR sales. A pity, because this camera is a joy to use. Especially at waist level, which is the height at which all movies are shot anyways. It's strange isn't it? Our eyes are at least 5'4" off the ground (mine's about 6') and that is how we naturally see the world, but plonk a movie camera at that height and people look foreshortened.... distorted.

8. Briar

Briar SC All-Pro

Oct 27, 2010
    Scotland
    Karen
    The school kids and the mona lisa pics are your stand out ones for me too.

Thanks for sharing Boid.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    Bold - great shots - some good ones

• Like Like x 1
  10. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    I knew nothing about that camera. But y'all got me all curious, and decided to google it. And I gotta say, that's one cool spacey looking camera! Looks ultra modern, even by today's standards!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I can't believe I'm reading a review of a camera that is that old and thinking about buying one. No, I just can't do it. But it's so cool!

12. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    What's less cool is that it's 1kg / 2.2 pounds. A D800 body-only is slightly lighter.

13. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    well, it is as a mighty chunk of glass to have that zoom range cover a large sensor. When I go bowling the ball I use is 16 pounds and I'm able to hurl that thing pretty well :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  14. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    +1. I didn't even know Sony had made such a beast, darnit.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    Ah well that's a way to see it :biggrin: I'll stay with my Fuji :tongue:

16. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Julien, are you referring to the X100 or do you have a Fuji bridge camera?

17. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Great shots with the old R1. It's one of the stranger looking cameras I've seen; certainly ahead of it's time in terms of the "big sensor, mirrorless" concept.

• Like Like x 1
  18. kathyh

kathyh SC Top Veteran

Jul 13, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    Kathy
    Some great shots. I particularly like the the dog with the man in striped trousers.

The Sony R1 was the first digital camera I owned. The image quality is excellent but for me, the ergonomics didn't work. I still have it shoved away in the back of a closet somewhere. If anybody is really interested they can have it for the cost of shipping (assuming it still works).

• Like Like x 1
  19. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Kathy, you have mail.

20. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv