1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

RX1 blown reds...

Discussion in 'Sony RX1 Forum' started by BruPri, Jul 13, 2013.

1. BruPri

BruPri SC Top Veteran

May 11, 2011
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Bruce J. Pritchard
    Does anyone else have this issue where reds are blown? rosey-2.
    I usually have to lower the red saturation and luminance to get anything natural.
    on a related note, color balance always seems off, favoring yellow/green. Coming from an M9, I've had limited success replicating the deep, accurate colors of the Leica. Are there any profiles available that work with LR5?

2. entropic remnants

entropic remnants SC All-Pro

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Sony sensors -- and many others -- do this. All my Nikon's struggled with this.

If you are shooting jpg, reduce exposure slightly -- experiment. Also consider dropping from a "vibrant" setting to flatter representations.

If you are shooting RAW, verify they aren't blown in the raw data and reduce the saturation slightly in post.

This is not unique or a flaw in your camera -- it's a typical limitation of extremely saturated colors in many digital cameras.

3. BruPri

BruPri SC Top Veteran

May 11, 2011
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Bruce J. Pritchard
    Thanks John, I am in RAW, I'll probably set up a custom profile, I already have one that reduces the yellow-both saturation and luminance while boosting the green saturation slightly. Perhaps I'll add the reduced S & L in the red channel as well.

4. xdayv

xdayv SC Veteran

Mar 22, 2013
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Same here for Nikon, my experience.

5. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    my Oly is a JOKE compared to that. I want to smash it sometimes. We can land a man on moon, but we can't get a multi-thousand dollar camera that can capture the color red. It makes me sick. Camera engineers should hang their heads in shame.

6. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    +1 on Sony sensors and the colour red. So far I have found Canon and Samsung sensors to be better at handling reds.