Sony Showcase RX1 Images

I dunno ... think I need to play with a RX1. Having the Fuji has helped focused my needs/desires for a camera different than the OM-D. I think having a truly pocketable camera, with the quality of the RX1 may make it too easy for me to be lazy. A body at rest tends to stay at rest ... all those physicists were talking about me. An RX1 would be great and fun, but the fixed lens would make it all too easy for me to live in a 35mm world. I can easily duct tape an O17 to my OM-D or an E-PL5 and have a similar experience. The problem is that back in the film days, even at 8x10 you could see a difference between 35mm and MF. Now, those differences don't become apparent until ... what ... 3'x4' ...

I'm looking for a different experience from what I've been doing for decades ... and I'm looking for a different image. Right now I'm willing to invest some time with the Fuji just to see if it can take me down a different road. Maybe the RX1 is the camera I need ... or maybe I'm taking the easy road by expecting the camera to change my style ... maybe it is I who needs to change my style.

Let me know what you think of the RX1, I am very interested in your review.

Gary

Wow, this is tough. If what you mean about sensor size/resolution is when you see two equal pixel resolutions of different formats and you can see the same details in each as an indicator that format does not matter, then yes. But two sensors with the same pixel resolution work at their Nyquist frequency would show about the same thing. But even with the wonderful sensor in the RX-1, it does not match my 22MP p25+ medium-format back. Even Ray seems to be impressed with a 35mm sensor over the m4/3 and APS sensors he has used. There is a lot that goes into the look of a format beyond resolution. And in the film days, it was not the resolution per se that distinguished the formats, it had more to do with the relative granularity--even Tri-X would look great at 8x10.

The camera does change your style, at least is has for me. But it takes some time with the camera as well. Unfortunately with digital, we have fewer camera types and formats, so we are suck in a more limited universe. The RX-1 when used seriously is a very different camera than an eye-level one. It is kind of like a handheld view camera with no movements, at least if you are working with the rear screen. It is actually a nice camera on a tripod, that three-legged monster you like so much. But part of that change of style comes with a change of subjects. Maybe you need to shoot something different. I have found the hard thing about a style change is not being able to really predict what that is. That come with just putting yourself out there a trying a few things.

Maybe what you need is a medium-format digital back and a tech camera. That is after you win the lottery--you do buy tickets?

Gary,

I can tell you the RX1 is an amazing camera to me, but part of that is I haven't shot full frame since film and I find both the capabilities of the sensor and THAT LENS (!) incredibly seductive. But I also love the look of Fuji files in everything but the lowest of low light - my X-Pro reminds me of that whenever I use it and the X100s I just got to check out reminds me of it again in such a nice handy little package. And I LOVE shooting with that Fuji OVF and that's an option I wouldn't give up. I'm very likely going to buy the RX1 just to have one over the top great IQ camera for some types of shooting. And I'm almost certainly not gonna buy the X100s, but I'm also not gonna replace the X-Pro - it stays. And I may also try to swing the Nikon "A". What I've sold to help enable some of this is a bunch of mid-range lenses for the OMD (and a second m43 body) that I wasn't using. I'm keeping the portrait length and longer lenses and the 12mm but the OMD has evolved into more of a specialty shooter for me rather than an every day cam.

But I'm clearly a camera slut - you're not. You're looking for something specific even if you don't know quite what it is. I rarely approach stuff that way - I sort of let the gear choose me. A less directed life, perhaps, but it works for me. If you get an RX1 and sell the Fuji, my guess is you might miss the Fuji. You'd be too enticed by the RX1 to probably notice or care much for a while, but my guess is the day would come when you'd reach for the Fuji and be bummed it wasn't there. OTOH, if you never try the RX1, that might drive you slightly crazy too. I'd say buy the RX1 (assuming money isn't a big issue here - if it is please disregard!), shoot with both for awhile and keep the one you keep coming back to and sell the one that gathers dust - let the cameras tell you which one wants to stay. That approach usually works for me. I don't know if it would for you, but it might.

-Ray

Wow, this is tough. If what you mean about sensor size/resolution is when you see two equal pixel resolutions of different formats and you can see the same details in each as an indicator that format does not matter, then yes. But two sensors with the same pixel resolution work at their Nyquist frequency would show about the same thing. But even with the wonderful sensor in the RX-1, it does not match my 22MP p25+ medium-format back. Even Ray seems to be impressed with a 35mm sensor over the m4/3 and APS sensors he has used. There is a lot that goes into the look of a format beyond resolution. And in the film days, it was not the resolution per se that distinguished the formats, it had more to do with the relative granularity--even Tri-X would look great at 8x10.

The camera does change your style, at least is has for me. But it takes some time with the camera as well. Unfortunately with digital, we have fewer camera types and formats, so we are suck in a more limited universe. The RX-1 when used seriously is a very different camera than an eye-level one. It is kind of like a handheld view camera with no movements, at least if you are working with the rear screen. It is actually a nice camera on a tripod, that three-legged monster you like so much. But part of that change of style comes with a change of subjects. Maybe you need to shoot something different. I have found the hard thing about a style change is not being able to really predict what that is. That come with just putting yourself out there a trying a few things.

Maybe what you need is a medium-format digital back and a tech camera. That is after you win the lottery--you do buy tickets?

My camera shopkeep keep putting a digital Hasselblad in my cart ... I mostly shoot people and I mostly shoot people doing stuff. Been doing that since grade school, retired my Nikons for about 15 years when I had my kids. Since the introduction of the 20D, I re-discovered photography ... I'm back. I'm back shooting people doing stuff, which I enjoy. But I think I want to do more, I'm after this Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde thing and I'm hoping that my cameras will reflect that polarity. For what I shoot and how I shoot, the differences in handling, performance and imagery between my 1D's and OM-D's isn't all that significant. There is greater difference between the OM-D and Fuji, but enough commonality that the Fuji doesn't feed my Dr. Jekyll side, ( ... yet, still low on the learning curve with the Fuji). I remember seeing Adams, fiddling with a view camera, making an adjustment here ... there ... looking, looking more, then another slight adjustment. It was like he was gardening, no pressure ... but the garden clearly shows his skills as a gardener. I think that is what I seek. A camera I can garden with. A camera that will give me a significantly different look and experience than what I've been shooting the most of my life. Maybe I should shoot with a view camera, film and a scanner ... but what a pain that is. I'm looking for an easy road, I want to garden without having to much around tiling the soil. I want a camera that when I pick it up my pea brain says "Mr. Hyde" or "Hello, Dr. Jekyll". From purely a hardware standpoint, something RX1-ish may be it, but I also realize that this is more mental than anything else ... there is a lot to be said for trying to teach an old dog a new trick.

Gary

Gary,

I can tell you the RX1 is an amazing camera to me, but part of that is I haven't shot full frame since film and I find both the capabilities of the sensor and THAT LENS (!) incredibly seductive. But I also love the look of Fuji files in everything but the lowest of low light - my X-Pro reminds me of that whenever I use it and the X100s I just got to check out reminds me of it again in such a nice handy little package. And I LOVE shooting with that Fuji OVF and that's an option I wouldn't give up. I'm very likely going to buy the RX1 just to have one over the top great IQ camera for some types of shooting. And I'm almost certainly not gonna buy the X100s, but I'm also not gonna replace the X-Pro - it stays. And I may also try to swing the Nikon "A". What I've sold to help enable some of this is a bunch of mid-range lenses for the OMD (and a second m43 body) that I wasn't using. I'm keeping the portrait length and longer lenses and the 12mm but the OMD has evolved into more of a specialty shooter for me rather than an every day cam.

But I'm clearly a camera slut - you're not. You're looking for something specific even if you don't know quite what it is. I rarely approach stuff that way - I sort of let the gear choose me. A less directed life, perhaps, but it works for me. If you get an RX1 and sell the Fuji, my guess is you might miss the Fuji. You'd be too enticed by the RX1 to probably notice or care much for a while, but my guess is the day would come when you'd reach for the Fuji and be bummed it wasn't there. OTOH, if you never try the RX1, that might drive you slightly crazy too. I'd say buy the RX1 (assuming money isn't a big issue here - if it is please disregard!), shoot with both for awhile and keep the one you keep coming back to and sell the one that gathers dust - let the cameras tell you which one wants to stay. That approach usually works for me. I don't know if it would for you, but it might.

-Ray

Money isn't a big issue with me ... well not nearly as big as with my creditors. I really think the RX1 would work for me as a tripod camera. I could tape a towel to it and pretent it's a view camera. I hate giving up on the Fuji so early in the game. I need to mentally wrap myself around the Fuji and use it like a MF camera and try to minimize an overlap of subjects. I need to develop my Capture One processing skills in order to squeeze out what the X-Trans can deliver differently from the Sony sensor of my OM-D's. By then the market would have crashed on the RX1 and I could pick it up for next to nothing.

Gary

Gary,

-Ray

Ray,
This post of yours seems to speak volumes & it **appears** to me that the Leica M9 is possibly "the" camera for you. :) I say this because:

-You're obviously enjoying full frame
-You obviously enjoy many of the aspects of the Fuji "X" series....

My camera shopkeep keep putting a digital Hasselblad in my cart ... I mostly shoot people and I mostly shoot people doing stuff. Been doing that since grade school, retired my Nikons for about 15 years when I had my kids. Since the introduction of the 20D, I re-discovered photography ... I'm back. I'm back shooting people doing stuff, which I enjoy. But I think I want to do more, I'm after this Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde thing and I'm hoping that my cameras will reflect that polarity. For what I shoot and how I shoot, the differences in handling, performance and imagery between my 1D's and OM-D's isn't all that significant. There is greater difference between the OM-D and Fuji, but enough commonality that the Fuji doesn't feed my Dr. Jekyll side, ( ... yet, still low on the learning curve with the Fuji). I remember seeing Adams, fiddling with a view camera, making an adjustment here ... there ... looking, looking more, then another slight adjustment. It was like he was gardening, no pressure ... but the garden clearly shows his skills as a gardener. I think that is what I seek. A camera I can garden with. A camera that will give me a significantly different look and experience than what I've been shooting the most of my life. Maybe I should shoot with a view camera, film and a scanner ... but what a pain that is. I'm looking for an easy road, I want to garden without having to much around tiling the soil. I want a camera that when I pick it up my pea brain says "Mr. Hyde" or "Hello, Dr. Jekyll". From purely a hardware standpoint, something RX1-ish may be it, but I also realize that this is more mental than anything else ... there is a lot to be said for trying to teach an old dog a new trick.

Gary

Well, if you have the budget, medium-format digital might be good for you. Depending on the type of tech camera, you can also shoot these cameras handheld. Most of these tach cameras will take film and so you could start with shooting film and then move over to a digital back. There are backs that have a Hasselblad V mount so you could still use do your Hasselblad thing, but MFD will all be crop sensors from the square. As you know, I shoot MFD with a Pentax 645D, but I also use a Phase One back on a Linhof view camera. Apart from me, I know one person over at the other forum that does street with MFD and a tech camera. There are some good dealers that can hook you up with used gear.

I think I'm gonna commit to the Fuji for awhile, get mentally into shooting different, work on my metering and zones start looking at more than just the primary subject matter in the image. Get away from shooting news and try to shoot differently. When I'm ready for MF I'll call you. I do need a scanner though. I have a box of negs in the garage about 1.5'x1.5'x3' nearly full of negs.

Gary

Ray,
This post of yours seems to speak volumes & it **appears** to me that the Leica M9 is possibly "the" camera for you. :) I say this because:

I also like to eat and sleep with a roof over my head. And I like low light shooting, so if I went for a Leica it would have to be the m240. But I like AF too. So, nope, I don't think so. But if I hit the Power Ball one of these days, maybe I'll try one.

-Ray

Money isn't a big issue with me ... well not nearly as big as with my creditors. I really think the RX1 would work for me as a tripod camera. I could tape a towel to it and pretent it's a view camera. I hate giving up on the Fuji so early in the game. I need to mentally wrap myself around the Fuji and use it like a MF camera and try to minimize an overlap of subjects. I need to develop my Capture One processing skills in order to squeeze out what the X-Trans can deliver differently from the Sony sensor of my OM-D's. By then the market would have crashed on the RX1 and I could pick it up for next to nothing.

Gary
If you want a tripod camera I'd stick with the Fuji - the RX1 is amazing in low light relative to the Fuji but with a tripod that doesn't matter - you'll be shooting at base ISO anyway. Hell, I'd get an X100 for that - there's no issue with the raw files with that one and the few remaining quirks won't matter if you're not in a hurry.

-Ray

Ray,

And Leica is the new Fuji. Or wait, Fuji is the new Leica. Oh .. Leica is the old Fuji!

Especially when we are going through a cold snap. But the light now can be really nice, unfortunately the landscapes is very brown. We are in mud season. No foliage, no snow.

Well I got my RX1 yesterday and hope to contribute to this thread soon. Managed to drop my M9 in the harbour here in Auckland NZ and decided not to reinvest in Leica and got the A99 + RX1 instead. Am stunned how good this little thing is. Think it will be my 1st camera and A99 will be for when I want really wide.

Well I got my RX1 yesterday and hope to contribute to this thread soon. Managed to drop my M9 in the harbour here in Auckland NZ and decided not to reinvest in Leica and got the A99 + RX1 instead. Am stunned how good this little thing is. Think it will be my 1st camera and A99 will be for when I want really wide.

Ouch! I hope the M9 was insured :(

Welcome, hope you enjoy the RX1!

Back