Sony RX1 - the camera I don't need.

I would seriously consider it if it was 50mm instead of 35mm.

I would probably jump on it if it also had manual focusing.

If it had 24fps video, it's a done deal.

Were you also aware that if you load 60p footage into Premiere Pro, you can output at 24p? And that you can use take 60p footage and conform to 24p, which makes your footage slow motion? :daz:

Yes I am aware but the motion blur would be different.

I will have to play with this some more. At the moment I'm experimenting with shooting in 50p and outputting at 25p, using my GH3.

As for the RX1, I've actually lost interest in it since getting the GR! The GR is smaller, provides more than adequate image quality, and is way cheaper. The image quality of the RX1 looks incredible, but the GR has interestingly dissolved my RX1 desire.

I will have to play with this some more. At the moment I'm experimenting with shooting in 50p and outputting at 25p, using my GH3.

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure how it works. I've tried to bring it up in the forums but no one seems to know either. To my logic, it makes sense doesn't it, that if you were to film at a faster frame rate, you lose the 'magic' 24p look even if you were to convert it to 24p after the fact?

I don't 'need' the Rx1 either...

But since I have it, might as well do something like this....

w-83.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The only caveat I would add is that being a left eye shooter with a large nose, using the viewfinder put my nose all over the controls. It made the camera too difficult or awkward for me to keep. The images I got from it were stunning though. So good that you take photos of stupid stuff just to see how they look.

I'm pretty set with my travel and street kit combining Micro 4/3s with a couple of 2.8 zooms and a Leica Monochrom on the other. 2 cameras are more than enough for me.

Except...

...the RX1R to mess things up. :D

here's my case in point.....LOL. Show us your photos of stupid stuff when your camera arrives. My friend actually wanted a print of this. :rofl: Seriously.

I have! But I was at the post office yesterday and upon exit...took this shot...lol...you are right...I take pictures of all kinds of lame things because the camera just does such a great job...I'm still amazed at the jpg quality...it ALMOST makes me want to shoot jpgs...almost. :)

I DO have one of the "custom modes" set to B&W jpg medium file so I can fire off B&W's in a hurry if necessary...and even then...they come out awesome.

DSC00472.jpg

Sometimes it even extends to once you've had the camera a while. The first RX1 shot I took upon arrival in Italy, about a month ago now, was this doorway in our hotel room in Naples. For whatever reason, I liked it enough to keep, but its a prime example of taking photos of nothing in particular just because its fun to shoot and try to make something of whatever, even of nothing... With all of the amazing scenery and architecture I've been able to shoot with this (and other cameras) since we've been here, kind of funny to start with this...

View attachment 72835
Greetings from Italy by ramboorider1, on Flickr

-Ray

Back