Sony RX100: is it just me, or is this thing a high ISO machine (but weaker in low ISO)

wt21

Hall of Famer
I'll try to post some pics, but this little thing is incredible at ISO3200 for what it is (a pocket camera). It's better than my EPM1!

But I've got some ISO200-400 shots, especially with high contrast, where there's some white bleeding kind of effects. And generally not as clean as I had hoped. I only have 40 indoor around-the-house test shots so far, but wondering what others are finding.

I have to relearn how to shoot with a compact zoom again! Haven't done this in years.

I've had that on a few shots where there are harsh contrasts, highlights and shadows. I wonder if that may come from the Dynamic Range Optimisation, have you turned that on?

I'll try to post some pics, but this little thing is incredible at ISO3200 for what it is (a pocket camera). It's better than my EPM1!

But I've got some ISO200-400 shots, especially with high contrast, where there's some white bleeding kind of effects. And generally not as clean as I had hoped. I only have 40 indoor around-the-house test shots so far, but wondering what others are finding.

I have to relearn how to shoot with a compact zoom again! Haven't done this in years.

I returned mine because the pictures just did not look right to me, and I figured I would not use it that much anyway. RAW was much better, but for now requires a lot of lens correction.

KianO is on to something. I did turn off DRO for some am shooting today, and the pics have improved. I also discovered the in-cam HDR. Nice!

I've never turned DRO on. I either use DR-Off (mostly) or Auto HDR, which is pretty handy and effective when the situation calls for it. Sounds like DRO is better avoided?

-Ray

DRO just seems to lift everything. Worse blown highlights with DRO. Auto HDR is sweet. I also tried 6 stop HDR in some torture tests, and it pulled through. I found a real easy 2 step process that worked pretty well. HDR in cam, then "auto tone" and LR, and the pics came out nicely balanced. Only issue with Auto HDR of course, is the lag, but it's much quicker than I thought it would be (oh, and of course the problem of lateral movement in the frame).

Use the Pana GX1 for lower isos ........ a 45mm in marginal light, sits well with the 28mm RX100 ............................................yet to use the zoom I also enjoy the 28mm sigma DP1

DRO is adjustable - when I use it I normally set it to level 3 or 4. It's not something to turn on and forget about. You need to learn what it does and use where appropriate (or just fix it all in LR when RAW support becomes available.)

Back