Sony RX100 Mark III Officially Announced

Thanks for sharing the quick review. A brilliant swiss army knife pocket compact by Sony pushing the boundaries again and out of reach for competition. Ticks all the boxes I want/like. Its only flaw is that it`s not available yet and I will be traveling in one week. :)

Sony, thank you, I applaud this new little camera.
The max aperture at the long end is the most welcome feature to me.
For me personally, I would though be looking at if there are any good price drops on the M1 or M2 versions though.

This is the best pocket-sized camera I've ever used. Here's my very brief overview:

I'll have a much more detailed video when I get a production unit.

Thanks guys for this quick review, cant wait to see the whole thing. I promised myself not to buy any sensor smaller than m43 but the overall package of this has got ALL my attention right now. Incredible how Sony is defying everything that once "impossible" in digital photography. Sadly what they have for engineering and technology they lack in UI design, but oh well.

hurry up guys wanna see the whole thing!.

My original RX100 has better IQ than most of my m4/3 kit if this can match the original it has my vote.

It should. I'm pretty sure the new camera has the same sensor as the Mark II - which Sony says has 40% less noise than the original RX100 sensor. I also understand that the maximum aperture on the new Mark III drops from f/1.8 at 24mm to f/2.8 at 30mm. But then it's f/2.8 all the way to 70mm. So that should also help.

It looks to be a great camera, but as a former LX3 owner I know the tradeoff at the long end won't make up for the 24mm equivalent short end.

The EVF looks like they've really gotten that concept right, though real world tests will be interesting.

Still kinda wish I could pick a little from column I, column II and column III and put my own RX100 together a la carte. ;)

No doubt that the RX100mkIII with its spec sheet was an excellent camera... However, I would wait for more reviews... and at this time... the RX100ii is selling at a good price in my country... I might get the ii instead of the iii.

My comment is premised on the tests done by dpreview. I don't think the effective aperture is always 1.8/2.8. Maybe I am not recalling which model they tested.

Back