RX100 minimum focus distance?

Discussion in 'Sony RX100 Forum' started by Lennart Elg, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Lennart Elg

Lennart Elg New to SC

Aug 26, 2010
    I just received my RX100 and am generally very happy with my choice. However, one concern I have is that while it seems to live up to the stated 5 cm minimum focus at the wide angle setting, the minimum focus distance increases rapidly as I zoom towards the tele end. Has anyone actually stated - or measured - the minimum focus distance at the tele end? My first experiments seem to indicate that if I want to fill my screen with a flower or similar, I need to use wide angle and get the lens up really close.

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    I haven't measured anything, but the camera is pretty well known for its limited macro capabilities. Whereas the LX5/7 and GRD3/4 have crazy short minimum focus distances (less than 1cm I believe), the Sony's larger sensor and longer focal lengths limit it. And I recall reading that "macro" only works at the widest angle. In fairness, I never remember using macro on the LX5 at anything except the widest settings either, although I don't remember for certain whether there was any macro capability still available at the longer focal lengths. I just tried focussing on some text with the long end of the RX100 and the camera was somewhere in the neighborhood of 18-24 inches from the paper before focus locked. So, no, don't count on it for macro shooting except for the limited capability at the widest setting...

-Ray

3. Lennart Elg

Lennart Elg New to SC

Aug 26, 2010
    Around 18-24" seems consistent with my experiments..

4. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    Yeah, this is typical of compact cameras. The LX5 can get within 1/2" at wide angle, but at full telephoto it's over a foot. I don't believe there are any compacts that act otherwise.

IIRC, the new Panny FZ200 is supposed to be able to have a MFD of about 3 ft, at the full 600mm. That's fairly awesome.