Sony rx100 - new to it all

dr4n

Hey all,

I'm completely new to the world of 1.8 or 1/20 etc and bought the rx100 thinking that is put it on the auto mode and learn, unfortunately I have a couple of problems...

1, with multiple subjects in a photo, one further away than the other, it will beep like its focused but miss focus on one. The depth of field is not deep enough?

2, is there a way to have a wide focus range for family shots to make sure I get everyone in focus but still take the photo quick enough to catch the little ones before they run off?

Can anyone give me any advice?

Thanks!!

1. The camera can only focus on one plane of focus. Whether objects in front or behind appear in focus (depth of field) depends on the aperture used. Smaller apertures provide greater depth of field.
2. A smaller aperture will provide greater depth of field. Unfortunately, smaller apertures require slower shutter speeds or higher ISOs. Usually not a problem in bright light situations, but indoors or low light may be trickier. Flash may help, but is also problematic when you are trying to capture subjects at different distances from the camera, as subjects that are closer will get more light than those that are farther away. Bouncing the flash from the ceiling usually helps.

Antonio

Back