1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

RX100 -- no viewfinder -- is anyone troubled by that?

Discussion in 'Sony RX100 Forum' started by Jock Elliott, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    Any problems seeing the screen in bright sunlight? Inquiring minds want to know.

I am tempted, but I have noticed that all my other cameras -- G12, FZ150, D-550 -- there are times when I can't seen the rear screen very well and I have to resort to the viewfinder.

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    It's a pretty great screen. When you set it for "sunny weather", or whatever they call it, you can see it well enough in just about any conditions. I found the same with the Nex 5 I had for a while last year.

- Ray

3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    What I have heard concurs with Ray's experience. Besides going turbo bright, it ups the local contrast, too. Part of a viewfinder for me is also the act of bring the camera to my eye and feeling involved in the scene I am watching through the viewfinder. Everyone responds differently. I'm not sure I would like working exclusively from arm's length, but I think they have the viewability of the screen figured out.

4. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    It doesn't have to be at arms length, you can lift it up to a foot in front of your face or so.. depending on your eyesight that is :D, but I know what you mean Luke. Between dslr and my other cameras I am most at home looking through the viewfinder.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kenhiraihnl

kenhiraihnl SC Regular

Sep 29, 2012
    Trisberg posted a pic of his RX100 w/ EVF. I considered doing that, but opted to keep pocket-ability and minimum accessories foremost.

6. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    So it turns out that, disregarding my current temporary NEX-5N ownership, all of my cameras have a built-in, eye-level viewfinder (although in the case of my G1X it is more the classic Canon G-series "glass hole for peering out of" than a viewfinder). The interesting bit is that, aside from my 50D where the eye-level viewfinder is a fundamental component of the camera, and in spite of using DSLRs for many years previously, I hardly ever use the 'finders except in particularly glary conditions.

If the RX100 has something similar to the "Sunny LCD" setting on the NEX the the LCD will be even easier to see in bright conditions. What I haven't yet found on the 5N is a way to quickly enable and disable this feature without going back into the menu. You don't want to leave the Sunny setting on in dull or dark conditions because it is very bright indeed!

7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    That's the same with the RX100 - its there but there's no shortcut to enable/disable it. I didn't find it too bright in non-sunny conditions, so I tended to leave it on, but the other downside is it does eat batteries pretty quickly...

-Ray

8. Bluebear

Bluebear SC Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    St Albans, Herts, UK
    No problems not having a view finder, and I don't have the best eyesight. The rear screen is the best I've come across - brilliant in more ways than one!

9. Reza Travilla

Reza Travilla SC Rookie

Jan 9, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    no problem but i wish the screen can be tilth like my Sony NEX5n:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hikari

Hikari SC Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    Maine, USA
    But there is a viewfinder on the RX100--it is that big screen at the back. I use the same viewfinder on my RX1 and like it very much.

11. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Yep. I just can't go where there's no eye level finder. I even got the 45 degree finder for my Hasselbald, and I use that mostly on a tripod. An RX200 with a viewfinder, and I'm in. I almost never use the LCD in cameras, except to change menu settings.