RX100 or NEX 5R at the same price.

Discussion in 'Sony Forum' started by lenshoarder, Nov 22, 2012.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder SC Veteran

Mar 7, 2012
    Both the RX100 and he NEX 5R are $649 now. Which one would you get?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chris2500dk

Chris2500dk SC Top Veteran

Dec 22, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I already got the RX100, the NEX is too big for what I wanted.

3. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    I'd go for the RX100 too...

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    E-PM2 :tongue:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    I've been lusting after a RX100. Getting a NEX would be a recipe for further lens lust indulgence!!

6. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I'd like an RX100... but I just know the competition will be coming out with a slew of compact enthusiast cameras featuring one-inch sensors and fixed lenses in six months or less. These will be the cameras the Panasonic LX7 and Olympus XZ-2 should have been. I want to see them first. The price of the RX100 should come down by then anyway.

7. Chris2500dk

Chris2500dk SC Top Veteran

Dec 22, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I don't see Panasonic, Canon, Fuji or Olympus bringing out 1" sensors until their normal refresh, so around next fall. They already introduced new models for this year and I really think Sony caught everyone napping with the RX100.

I'm hoping for Ricoh to make a GRD-5 with the RX100 sensor sometime next year though. That sensor with the GRD controls and a super high quality fixed 28mm equivalant lens would be awesome.

8. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    I agree.

9. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I'll buy that!!!!

10. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    You certainly could be right. But the LX7 is already at $299.

11. BlueBill

BlueBill SC Rookie

Jan 11, 2014
    If pocket-ability is important the RX100 hands down, else a NEX 3N and up will provide slightly better IQ.

12. porchard

porchard SC Veteran

Feb 24, 2013
    Devon, UK
    For a long while, I was considering both the RX100, and a NEX (either 5 or 6). Eventually, I bought an RX100. I didn't buy a NEX, and I am no longer considering one, so I guess that my answer's obvious. :wink:

The RX100 continues to impress me, more than a year after I bought it.:smile:

13. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    Tricky one. I have an RX100 and a NEX (the 7 though I started with the 5). If you don't plan to use more than the kit lens with the 3 I'd probably go with the RX100. If I was buying today I would go with the RX100 II just because of the adjustable screen and the EVF option.

14. demiro

demiro Serious Compacts For Life

Dec 15, 2011
    I think it is a pretty easy one. If you intend this to be your only camera, and you have a budget to buy more lenses for the NEX, then by all means go with that. But, if this camera is "supplemental" to a quality ILC kit, and you value size and versatility, then the RX100 is a fairly easy choice.

I don't think someone with the username "lenshoarder" is considering something to be his only camera. :)

15. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    it's also interesting that the thread is well over a year old. For me, if I had no other camera and had the budget (and interest) to build a system (I would not be interested in the slightest of ONLY using a NEX camera and whatever slow kit zoom is being packaged with it), it would be the NEX. If I just wanted a compact camera to carry around with great IQ, it would be the RX100.

16. porchard

porchard SC Veteran

Feb 24, 2013
    Devon, UK
    :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: