Sony RX100 owners: still loving it?

Had it for a few weeks and traded it in for some fast Zeiss glass for my X-Pro1. Worked flawlessly but it was not particularly inspiring or fun to shoot. I'm not sure why but I've traded away more Sony gear than anything else, NEX C3, NEX 5, NEX 7, all with adapted lenses and the RX-100 w/Franiec grip . They were all cutting edge technology at the time but ultimately left me "eh" I get more keepers and have more fun with this used Leica X1 I picked up for a song after the X2 came out. All the images that the Sony gear I've owned were technically good, but flat for lack of a better word. I didn't feel emotionally connected to images that I specifically shot for that connection.

Althoug I have very good results with my nex5n+zeiss combo I somehow miss the x1... Not rational I know but here it is, I'm a very intellectual person, I analyze everything but still something isn't quite complete.

For other readers, never trx the x series because it is so simple and beautiful that you'll miss it afterwards, well of course I should not generalize...

Do give people on this forum the benefit of doubt, that they actually might know what they're talking about. Most users on this forum are camera-holics for want of a better word, and first time adopters who have used a variety of equipment. Their perspective on the RX100 might be one arrived at after having tested and used many different compact cameras.

What might be acceptable as "great detail" might not be true for another user of the camera. I for one think that the RX100 does not put out files that have very good pixel level resolution. I think Sony would have done better to not cram 24mp into this sensor.

I also stand by the fact that the files do not hold up well in post. Minor adjustments have too large an impact on the image, which is not acceptable.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, possibly due to a preset algorithm (by Sony engineers) the camera smooths out and flattens skin tones, according to my tests, in ALL settings to different degrees. Which is great for a novice shooter but is an irritant to me, since I like control of my images.

If you're happy with the camera, that's great. And you're right of course, that at this level of pocket-ability it might be the best camera in the market. But it's not for me.

I'm attaching a 100% crop on an image taken at f11, 1/2000th of a second to highlight what is not acceptable in the camera for me, try shooting some landscapes and come to your own conclusions -

To be clear, I wasn't referring to people on this specific forum ... talking more about other forums where I spend time (I'm quite new to this specific site).

Also, I highlighted the possibility that there is some variation in production quality. Never suggested that users were imagining things.

Finally, I don't think it makes sense to compare the RX100 to larger cameras (APS-C, FF, etc.) It is what it is. A camera designed to fit in your pocket. What it should be compared to, for example, is the s100/s110. That used to be the king of compacts before the RX100 showed up. That said, I shoot with full-frame and several APS-C cameras, and I'm very happy with the detail and skin tones, etc, I get from my RX100. Did you look at my RX100 portraits here: https://www.photographerslounge.org/f105/some-portraits-rx100-12938/#post96653 ? These are all natural/in-door lighting.

I agree the cropped image you show looks lousy. Now ask yourself why the camera does not stop down beyond f11. It's because diffraction effects make smaller apertures unusable. At f11, you're already hitting serious diffraction effects for a sensor of this size and density combined with a lens of this size. If you shoot the same scene at f8, it will be a completely different story [and you don't need to go up to f11 for landscapes with a sensor of this size in the first place]. Try out the diffraction calculator here: Digital Camera Sensor Sizes: How it Influences Your Photography

I'm attaching a 100% crop on an image taken at f11, 1/2000th of a second to highlight what is not acceptable in the camera for me, try shooting some landscapes and come to your own conclusions -

View attachment 59705

I'm starting to think you have a (very) bad copy. Here's a comparison of f6.3 and f11 (click to size up). While you can see some diffraction in the form of reduced sharpness at f11, it's nowhere near as bad as your image.

F-compare.jpg

And this is the edge of the f11 version.... not bad at all, I think.

Side crop.jpg

Yes, I can see the difference. If I were you, I'd take my camera back to the shop drop your memory card into another RX100, take some shots, then back in your own camera to take some similar shots. If you see differences--and I suspect you will--I'd be firmly requesting a replacement. :) It's not a cheap camera, so you deserve to get a good copy. Best of luck!

If you're happy with the camera, that's great. And you're right of course, that at this level of pocket-ability it might be the best camera in the market. But it's not for me.

View attachment 59707

No level of pocket-ability would worth THAT! Did you really think that was anything other than a really bad copy of the camera? Man, that's terrible. I've got my share of criticisms of this camera and I haven't been shy about pointing them out, but sharpness and clarity are not among them. The image quality, at both high and low ISO, is the reason I kept this camera despite a number of other mis-givings.

You just got a REALLY BAD camera! Return / exchange it at once - the camera is WAY WAY WAY better than that!

BTW, I wouldn't be shooting at f11 with this little beast much either. F7.1 or F8 at the very smallest. But even f22, if it had it, shouldn't cause what you've got in that sample...

BTW, here's a full shot and a 100% crop taken from the lower right of it - f5.6. I've seen better, but not from a camera in this category. And the differences are meaningless at any reasonable viewing size or print...

View attachment 59708

View attachment 59709

-Ray

Thanks, I've written to the Sony blokes. Unfortunately I picked up the camera in London and am now back home, lets see what the process of exchanging it is going to be like.

Do give people on this forum the benefit of doubt, that they actually might know what they're talking about. Most users on this forum are camera-holics for want of a better word, and first time adopters who have used a variety of equipment. Their perspective on the RX100 might be one arrived at after having tested and used many different compact cameras.

What might be acceptable as "great detail" might not be true for another user of the camera. I for one think that the RX100 does not put out files that have very good pixel level resolution. I think Sony would have done better to not cram 24mp into this sensor.

I also stand by the fact that the files do not hold up well in post. Minor adjustments have too large an impact on the image, which is not acceptable.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, possibly due to a preset algorithm (by Sony engineers) the camera smooths out and flattens skin tones, according to my tests, in ALL settings to different degrees. Which is great for a novice shooter but is an irritant to me, since I like control of my images.

View attachment 59710

Is that a corner crop or center crop?

If center, then -- oh my! My RX100 is much better than that (edit -- I see others now have chimed in).

I think there's also a NR low setting -- maybe that would help???

Is that a corner crop or center crop?

If center, then -- oh my! My RX100 is much better than that (edit -- I see others now have chimed in).

I think there's also a NR low setting -- maybe that would help???

It was already set to low NR, and the blow up was a corner crop. I'm guessing there might be something off with the camera, have posted a few more images to get a balanced opinion.

Hi Boid - I definitely think your camera should be producing better images than what you're getting out of it. Both in terms of detail and dynamic range (you have some nasty looking blown-out clouds in one shot). Here is a shot I took a couple of weeks ago in Bangkok the day after I bought the camera. I think it shows good centre and corner sharpness. [Click to enlarge]. I, for one, think this is very good IQ for something that can fit in your jeans pocket...
Temples.jpg

Temples-crop2.jpg

Temples-crop.jpg

Here are a few more captures from the camera, your opinions would be appreciated. SOOC
These don't look nearly as bad as that first one. The crop on the last one actually looks pretty sharp - the people are a bit soft but the stone work and statue both look pretty good. If that first one was a corner, that might be the issue. There have definitely been lens de-centering issues with some of these cameras, but far from all or most. I'd get the replacement and check the corners. They'll be somewhat soft wide open but if one side is worse than the other, you have a bad camera.

-Ray

Still loving it! Four shots taken this morning from my back yard and a street shot (full-frame and cropped)...and a night shot! -and it fits in the pocket of my t-shirt!!!

Pearl Harbor 10042012.jpg
Pearl Harbor 10042012 crop.jpg
Makakilo 10042012.jpg
Makakilo 10042012 crop.jpg
Wiki Bikes.jpg
Wiki Bikes crop.jpg
Backyard night 10042012.jpg
Backyard night crop 10042012.jpg

Take a look at these shots taken in two museums where it is forbidden to take pictures:

Flickr: couleurnoire's Photostream

It has many drawbacks, blocked shadows and blown highlights but it sure is a cool snapshot camera! The wide angle ones were taken with the omd+7-14 BTW.

Here is one I could not have taken without a handy zoom cam:

Fantastic images, Kian. In response to your comments re blown highlights and blocked shadows, I don't think the camera is quite so bad ... in fact, I was quite happy when I saw the dynamic range it could capture. But there are conditions--as with most/all cams--where clouds will blow out. I'm very comfortable using the automated HDR feature because it can handle subject movement fairly well, gives you realistic results, and leaves you with an additional copy of your middle exposure in case you don't like what HDR did. Here's a case in point. This would be a challenging scene for any camera... bright sky behind, shadows in front. The first image shows the middle exposure (what the camera would do without HDR) and the second shows with autoHDR. Could have probably done more with the manual HDR settings, but wanted to avoid a surreal appearance here...

DSC00151.jpg

DSC00152 (3).jpg

Hey thanks a lot for looking, I have to try this HDR mode it does a very neat job on those shots you have posted below, thanks again.

Fantastic images, Kian. In response to your comments re blown highlights and blocked shadows, I don't think the camera is quite so bad ... in fact, I was quite happy when I saw the dynamic range it could capture. But there are conditions--as with most/all cams--where clouds will blow out. I'm very comfortable using the automated HDR feature because it can handle subject movement fairly well, gives you realistic results, and leaves you with an additional copy of your middle exposure in case you don't like what HDR did. Here's a case in point. This would be a challenging scene for any camera... bright sky behind, shadows in front. The first image shows the middle exposure (what the camera would do without HDR) and the second shows with autoHDR. Could have probably done more with the manual HDR settings, but wanted to avoid a surreal appearance here...

View attachment 4515

View attachment 4516

I find the results here fantastic IMHO, very rich and the cloudy sky reveals the intensity of the shots.

Hi Boid - I definitely think your camera should be producing better images than what you're getting out of it. Both in terms of detail and dynamic range (you have some nasty looking blown-out clouds in one shot). Here is a shot I took a couple of weeks ago in Bangkok the day after I bought the camera. I think it shows good centre and corner sharpness. [Click to enlarge]. I, for one, think this is very good IQ for something that can fit in your jeans pocket...
View attachment 4502
View attachment 4503
View attachment 4504

Back