Sony Rx100 size vs other options?

Today I was reading, that in fact the sensor on the Sony RX100 seems to be really good, but the lens is found to be a bit lacking...
On the other hand, the Olympus XZ-1 has a smaller sensor, but a lens that is regarded as sharper and it is a faster lens.
So, what is best? Does the bigger sensor on the Sony make the biggest difference?

Cheers!

Where does this idea come from that there is something lacking in the RX100 lens? Is there a technical study somewhere that demonstrates this?

What I read is that the lens is a good lens, but it is not the best in regard to corner sharpness and CA wide open.
There are some reviews online that point this out.
For a normal use I'm sure it is more than fine.
I was just curious if the faster lens and smaller sensor of the xz-1 would be a better combo.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Where does this idea come from that there is something lacking in the RX100 lens? Is there a technical study somewhere that demonstrates this?

This review discusses corner sharpness, de-centering, vignetting, and discoloration in the corners.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 Camera Optics - Review

Are these things that would bother me? In a sub-compact? No, not at all. But its gotten a few threads worth of discussion over on the Sony forum on DPR (mostly from people who DO own the camera and seem somewhat bothered by it). Its far from terrible, it wouldn't keep me from buying one, but it seems to be just bad enough to count as one of of the tradeoffs for putting so much sensor and zoom range in such a small body. Its enough for the pixel peepers to have a good time with it.

-Ray

What I read is that the lens is a good lens, but it is not the best in regard to corner sharpness and CA wide open.
There are some reviews online that point this out.
For a normal use I'm sure it is more than fine.
I was just curious if the faster lens and smaller sensor of the xz-1 would be a better combo.

Both cameras f/1.8, the Sony has twice the resolution of the Olympus. Not even a fair comparison I/Q wise.

Hum. Well I have not seen any of the lens problems mentioned. I guess I am not discerning enough in that area. Here are a few samples I took yesterday. Can anyone see what I am missing?
SunflowersFM.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

SoldierMem.jpg

ProduceMart.jpg

Peppers.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I bought a RX100 earlier this week after having read a few positive reviews. I had been waiting for the LX5 replacement (which I sold last year) and wasn't sure if I wanted the LX7 due to its smaller sensor. However, I have been missing a P&S. My S90 have gotten som heavy use from time to time, but mostly when I didn't want to carry a camera. Anyway, what I find as the most positive surprise(!) is that it is really fast to focus and hardly any shutter lag to talk about. It fires almost instantly. It's also quiet. The control wheel fells tight and so is the mode dial.

Comparing sizes the RX100 doesn't feel much bigger than my S90, but I know the S100 is smaller. It easily slips into my pockets. I was a little reluctant getting it since I used my Nikon J1 as P&S with the 10mm, but the RX100 despite feeling heavy and solid is a lot lighter than my J1 w/10mm.

What always bothered me with my m43 cameras (GF1, GF3 and GX1) was the shutter sound. Too loud for me. I know it doesn't mean much to some, but to me it was very anoying. I also had trouble with pressing buttons when carrying the camera. Changed WB, ISO or EV. You could call it user error, but it works flawless with other cameras I own (Nikon J1 and X100). I'm quite sure you'll get better IQ from most or all of the current m43 cameras, but at a cost of a larger kit with the better lenses. I'd probably be more happy with the IQ from a GX1 with the PZ 14-42, but still feel the need for something smaller and lighter, and for this the RX100 is perfect to me. The LX5 (LX7) less since it is more bulkier. I'm glad to have a P&S again!

Just my thoughts on it.

Hello.

So, I went ahead and sold two lenses from my m43 kit.
Now I have funds to order the rx100. I just don't know if I should...
I've built my m43 kit very recently only to find I didn't use it hardly enough to justify the cost.

So, should I buy the rx100? Buy a cheaper compact like an s95 or xz1?

Buy nothing and wait for new cameras in September?

Cheers

I heard so much about this camera that I had to try it since we are going on summer vacation soon. It's going back. It is indeed compact and quiet, but in the JPGs the colors and dynamic range are odd. The B&W conversions don't look right to my eye. I have not shot RAW as my apps don't support it yet and there is significant distortion too.

Oddly, I have renewed respect for my Q, which seems to make very pleasant B&W conversions.

Hello.

How are you?
I am really having cold feet about the rx100.
I keep reading lots of praises to the camera, but also some negatives...
And today I saw the s100 for half the price of the sony... and that got me thinking...
Sure the sony has a bigger sensor and that has to give advantages in low light and high ISO... but what else can the sony do that is that much different from the canon?

Cheers

Hello.

How are you?
I am really having cold feet about the rx100.
I keep reading lots of praises to the camera, but also some negatives...
And today I saw the s100 for half the price of the sony... and that got me thinking...
Sure the sony has a bigger sensor and that has to give advantages in low light and high ISO... but what else can the sony do that is that much different from the canon?

Cheers

The Sony is also a very quick little camera. It has fast AF, zero shutter lag, quick bursts, fast write times to the card, etc, etc, etc. I had an S90 for a while and its a great little camera but its very slow in comparison. You can also crop RX100 photos a lot more just because of the higher resolution. If none of this matters to you, you might be just as happy with the S100. But the Sony is a whole new class of camera to be sure.

-Ray

I think it might come down to deciding where you see the RX100 fitting in your camera profile. Right now I have an LX3 and an RX100 but I don't see the latter as a replacement for the former. In fact, if I had the money (and assuming the LX7 is significantly better than the LX3) I would be tempted to get the LX7 in addition to the RX100.

For me, I see the RX100 as a carry everywhere camera that can give me images close to those from my NEX camera. I'm in the process of selling my APS DSLR so for now the NEX becomes my 'large sensor' interchangeable lens camera. (Though if I had the money I would probably indulge in a FF DSLR or possibly a forthcoming FF SLT).

Only you can say how important the extra quality from the larger sensor and other features of the RX100 are for your style of shooting, but if you're not sure it's better for you than the Canon then it probably isn't. Just to put this in perspective, I have printed 12X8 prints from my LX3 shot at ISO 800 (black and white only though) and plenty more at the same size at lower ISO's and also heavily cropped.

I can't speak for the Canon but I do not that the speed issue that Ray mentions is a huge plus for me when compared with the Panasonic. If that's something that matters for your style of shooting that might be something you want to take into account. These days I incline to the view that it doesn't make a huge difference which one you go for - they're all good and its a matter of learning your camera thoroughly and working with its strengths and working round its quirks.

So, overall then, not much help with your decision:). Whatever you go for, enjoy it and post your pictures.

Thank you for the replies.
I ry don't know.
The sony looks really small, but when in shooting position, with the lens extended, i think it is not that smaller than let's say a gx1 with the leica 25mm...
Ok that it's a combo without zoom, but for the amount of shooting I do, I think it would be enough...
I could not fit the gx1 on my pocket, but then again, i probably wouldn't take the rx100 in my pocket. I use most of the days a small messenger bag with my smartphone, wallet, snacks...
Hmmm... For the rx100 price, i could get the gx1 and still save some cash. I already own the pl25.

If it was you?...

Cheers

Back