Sony Rx100 size vs other options?

So today I was thinking... rx100 vs gx1 with 14-42 pz...
Is the size difference significative?
What about performance?
Here is a size comparison:
Compact Camera Meter
That's one of those where I think the difference is gonna feel a lot bigger than it looks. The RX100 is easily pocketable, the GX1 isn't, except for a coat pocket. That's never been my highest priority but it seems to be for some. I'd say the G1X sensor has the jump on the RX100 sensor, but by less than I'd have thought. And so the faster lens on the RX100 makes it about as good at light gathering over all - maybe better, but someone else would have to run the numbers on that one. I think the controls on the GX1 are gonna be a lot better than the tiny controls on the RX100. And, of course you can change lenses, which is big if you want that capability. My judgement is if you don't plan to get into m43 lenses, I'd go for the RX100. I used to say that even with the LX5 or X10 compared to any m43 with the kit lens and its doubly so with the RX100's new sensor. But if you want an ILC, that totally changes the equation.

And of course you can add a flash and really good EVF and stuff to the GX1, but you've probably already taken stuff like that into account...

-Ray

As Ray said it is pocket size vs coat size difference. There is one stop difference between the sensor sizes so RX100 is equivalent to 14mm f/2.5 m43 lens on the wide side, and 100mm f/6.3 m43 lens at the long end. So they are pretty comparable most of their lens range. Both lenses have compromises. M43 lets you change the lens so you have an option to use better primes/zooms with it. There is some quality issues with the pana lens which are posted in several forums and Panasonic said they fixed it:
Panasonic G X 14-42 opinions? - Micro Four Thirds User Forum

I don't have the lens but here is the review about it:
Panasonic G X VARIO PZ 14-42 mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH. P.O.I.S. review - Summary - Lenstip.com

Pros:
small, compact and neat casing with metal mount,
very good image quality in the frame centre,
negligible longitudinal chromatic aberration,
moderate lateral chromatic aberration at longer focal lengths,
well-controlled coma,
slight astigmatism,
efficient and noiseless autofocus,
efficient image stabilization.

Cons:
weak image quality on the edge of the frame at the longest focal length,
very high lateral chromatic aberration at the shortest focal length,
high distortion on both focal extremes,
significant vignetting,
weak performance against bright light.

The distortion on the wide side is -6% vs the distortion on the new 12-35mm at 12mm is -5.8%, so the auto software distortion correction is becoming the norm.

Back