Sony RX100 Videos

Nick Hope

In January I took a trip to north Thailand with my new RX100, and I've made a couple of short videos with the footage I shot up there.

First is an atmospheric piece from Pang Ung. I had terrible trouble with slight zooming in and out, which I am attributing to having the RX100 set to autofocus(?). I didn't notice it while shooting and had to repair it later on the computer with the Deshaker filter for VirtualDub.

[video=youtube;YUvRj9e2o50]

We also went to visit the village of Kayan Tayar. One of the long-neck women sang and played us a tune, which is all recorded with the RX100's built-in microphone. I am no audio expert but it sounds good to me for a built-in mic.

[video=youtube;yBPYDLYAXvE]

Feedback is welcome, or feel free to add your RX100 videos to this thread.

nick! thank you so much for posting these. i've recently returned to film-making and purchased a RX100 as my back-up and travel video camera (my main unit will be a D800 with 24 & 85 1.4 primes).

your vids show not only your skill and talent, but the camera's capability. lovely! it inspires me.

i too have found the RX100 sometimes searches for auto-focus and thus does this small frantic shakey-zoom effect (not just in video mode, but in still mode too). i have found it worsens in the Intelligent modes. it lessens in the Program mode. next time out i'll work in Manual Focus and see is that helps, when the subject is stationary so that auto isn't a necessity.

keep up the fine work!

Thanks everyone :)

Although the RX100 does a pretty good job, I'm still seriously thinking of getting a Panasonic GH3 as my main camera.

coyote, regarding the focus hunting, I've just been informed elsewhere: "You could either switch to MF mode, or AF-S (single) rather than AF-C (continuous). AF-C only seeks a focal point when you press the shutter button halfway." So I'm going to have a root around in the manual and menus and make sure I nail this problem next time. I'll also probably image stabilization is off for tripod shots so that that doesn't do anything strange either.

Here is an unfixed clip showing a bad case of this focus hunting. I know the mist doesn't help:

[video=youtube;1OX-yQz8FhI]

nick, if i was limited to one camera for still-and-video travel shooting, i too might pick the GH3. it gets the best ratings to date.

but i'm staying with the RX100 for now. your info about the focus hunting makes lots of sense. thank you! i will definitely use those suggestions next time out. and i suspect you're right about turning the stablization off. will test this theory too.

your un-fixed vid does show what i've experienced. i'm so very glad we have forums like this to learn from!!!!!

Thanks for those beautiful videos. They really made me slow down/calm down and pay attention. The woman's singing/playing had more similarity to American roots music than I'd ever have anticipated.

I'm using the RX100 for simple "how to" videos; watching your work makes me want to stretch and shoot things for the beauty of it!

Great little movies.
Nice work.

I'm trying to get up to speed with the rx100 but am confused by a few things.

The Record setting 1080P (1,920 x 1,080) HD at 60P (59.94p progressive-scan) frames/second seems the way to go for best quality / cimematic (film) look according some stuff I've read via google.
Specs here: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 Camera Video - Review

I understand that there's the general rule-of-thumb - 2x the frame rate, which in this case would be 1/125th sec. - this seems a little fast and more suitable to fast action or sports.
I am primarily interested in 'talking portraits' & 'urban/landscapes' with some panning and tilting. Not too slow shutter though to avoid any motion blur. So I guess 1/60th sec or 1/50th ?
What shutter speeds are you using?

Then there is the issue of bringing the footage into Quicktime Pro or FCP or whatever post program.
Do I bring it in at 59.94 / 60 fps or at 30 fps or ? If 1/30th after having shot at 1/60 or 1/125 that constitutes an effect (slo mo) rather than 'normal' right?

There is a program (probably several) called Clipwrap that can take the Sony AVCHD file with a .MTS extension and transcode it to .MOV or whatever

Also, ....Since you can press the movie button while you're in any of the stills modes - P, A S, M I don't really get why there is a dedicated video mode on the dial too? Does it allow you access to something?

Thanks
Frank

Back