Sony Rx100iii ND FILTER

Nepal9696

Hope not a silly question,
Just bought a rx100iii to go with my a6000,
How an why do I use the built in ND filter,
Never used one in the a6000 so unsure
Thanks

Hello! I have the RX100V and I assume it would be similar.

I can see the ND filter here:

Menu > Camera icon > Page 5

Though I have also mapped it to my Fn-menu when shooting for easy access.

As per above, it looks like the ND filter is selected under MENU > CAMERA SETTINGS. It's the 18th item on the list so page 5 seems about right.

The purpose of the ND filter is to give you greater control of the camera's exposure settings, particularly in bright lighting conditions. The usual example given is this: supposing you want to shoot in bright sunlight with the aperture wide open for a shallow depth of field. That requires a very fast shutter speed, possibly faster than the camera offers. The solution is to employ the built-in neutral density filter, which I'm guessing gives you three stops of light reduction. Now you can open the aperture to where you want it without the shutter speed going off the end of the scale.

-R

It's also useful when shooting video in broad daylight with S-log2. You want your shutter speed to be only double of what frame rate your shooting at (24p = 1/50) and you want your aperture set to a certain value (forca desired effect). Since S-log2 limits the base ISO to 1600, the ND will really make a difference. (Learned that the hard way.)

Back