Sony RX1r vs A7r

If I had the choice, I'm not sure what I'd pick. The A7r obviously has the ability to use a wide array of lenses, including the many M-mount lenses I already have. But the shutter sounds very obtrusive, which would limit its use in the kind of discreet shooting that I prefer. The RX1r has image quality that is almost on par, a very good and fast lens, and a virtually silent shutter. But its versatility is limited by that very lens.

I initially thought I'd sell my RX1 to buy an A7 but in the end have decided against it because of the glass. The biggest problem for the new Alpha compacts is that there are too few lenses and the RX1 35mm Zeiss is going to be very very hard to beat. Maybe in a year if they release a few high quality fast primes it'll be worth it.

I guess Sony doesn't want to kill the RX1 line. The other reason might be keeping the system small. They were saying the slow focus of RX1 is due to the sizes of the lens parts need to be moved. In SAR link, Sony is stating that they want to keep the system small and light, which should keep the af faster then RX1 also:
Sony: We are not going after crazy fast aperture FE lenses. What matters is quality and lightweight design. - sonyalpharumors
Sony is not going after crazy fast apertures FE lenses. What matters is having to performance and lightweight design.

Here is the RX1 lens, which has larger dia then the existing e-mount and goes inside the body most probably to keep the size small and prevent the corner issues that we are seeing w/ A7/A7R:
sony-rx1-7_1347448688.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Zeiss said they will be making new mf lenses. Currently there are fast CV 35 1.2 & 50 1.1 lenses available at comparable size to the RX1 lens, of course they are mf & will stick more w/ leica m adapter. Also there are smaller CV 35mm/40mm/50mm 1.4/1.5 & Zeiss 50mm 1.5/2 lenses. You can adapt Canon EOS lenses and Contax g lenses w/ af adapters but they will be slow to focus, eg maybe faster to manual focus... It will take 2 years according to Sony plan to have more system lenses but they were not clear about the apertures other then a wide zoom (maybe f/4) and portrait lens next year. Most probably they will keep it on the slow/small side as they didn't even push f/1.4 w/ nex apsc line...

I initially thought I'd sell my RX1 to buy an A7 but in the end have decided against it because of the glass. The biggest problem for the new Alpha compacts is that there are too few lenses and the RX1 35mm Zeiss is going to be very very hard to beat. Maybe in a year if they release a few high quality fast primes it'll be worth it.

....Sony plan to have more system lenses but they were not clear about the apertures other then a wide zoom (maybe f/4) and portrait lens next year. .

If they can deliver a fast 85 with IQ as good or better than the RX1 fixed 35 it will be a very attractive proposition. An Alpha 7r and fast portrait lens would partner very well with the RX1 and make a nice lightweight two camera kit.

85mm is the missing line w/ nex also. Hopefully they will deliver it soon. Until then I will use Contax g 90mm 2.8 Sonnar and CZJ 135mm 3.5 Sonnar lenses which are small, sharp lenses.... You can see the quality of CZJ 135mm in the above link.

Sony A mount has 85mm 1.4 and 2.8, which are copies of Zeiss/C/Y 85mm designs. Contax g 90mm and C/Y 85 2.8 are also same Sonnar lenses. We'll see if Sony will introduce a new 85mm 1.8 lens... They did w/ new Sonnar 24/35mm/55mm designs...

If they can deliver a fast 85 with IQ as good or better than the RX1 fixed 35 it will be a very attractive proposition. An Alpha 7r and fast portrait lens would partner very well with the RX1 and make a nice lightweight two camera kit.

The RX1(R) is a unique proposition that compliments interchangeable solutions.

No interchangeable solution of the same quality is likely to ever come near to its size.
Its "silent" shooting nature is also unique, although in the future that gap could be closed by the A7.1 !!!!
Lastly, there are other great things, like the mechanical aperture dial. So as a sum of its parts it is a compelling proposition.

I am currently running a Nex-6 to deal with telephoto and also a fetish with old and odd lenses (e.g. SLR Magic, Sony Alpha/Minolta, Leica and Zeiss).

I am currently deciding whether to "up" that to a A7 (based on the Sony A7 Review review, the A7 seems awesome) or just get the RX10 and keep the Nex-6 for fun.

Whatever I do, the RX1R is likely to remain the camera that goes everywhere with me (including to work each day) and my travel camera of choice.

Lastly, in the Leica universe (my past life) a RX1R is cheap then the cost of a 35mm Summicron lens, and I actually prefer the rendering of the RX1's Zeiss lens (although my absolute favourite 35mm of all time is still the 35mm Summilux FLE). So in cost terms its quite cheap to get such a good cameras thrown in as well (better IMHO then the M240). But that is only the perspective from the Leica universe ;)

I had the a7r and traded it for an rx1. As someone who loves primes and 35mm. The a7R and probably any ilc in the next 10 years will ever, ever beat the rx1. (because i factor in iq, aperture,af and size). The only thing that may beat it is a GXR style FF system with matched sensor to lens.

Back