Salvage --please post yours

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by Lawrence A., Mar 11, 2013.

1. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I spent a couple of hours at the local salvage yard with the X100 and E-M5 and Summilux 25mm f1.4. I don't know what half of what I photographed was ever meant to do, but it was wonderful to see anyway. Please post your shots of salvage, wrecked cars, or anything scrapped.

DSCF2676-Edit-L.
    A worker in the yard said this tank was in a movie they shot up near Santa Fe, but I cannot tell you what movie.

[​IMG]

DSCF2679-Edit-L.

DSCF2704-Edit%20copy2-L.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  2. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Nice set! It never occurred to me to go to a wrecker, but I imagine there might be a mass of interesting stuff. Certainly was, on your trip, Larry :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. hannahntilly

hannahntilly SC Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Peter
    Here are a few that I stumbled across.

8561995641_54320b9c70_b.
    P1050815-Edit.jpg by nearlycossack, on Flickr

8551467686_8e5f1fc71a_b.
    P1050816.jpg by nearlycossack, on Flickr
    These are from a junkyard next to a long-abandoned Victorian fort at Alderstead. (The fort was one of 13 built on the North Downs to defend London and is now very dilapidated.)

8550329885_de813f7e60_b.
    P1050961.jpg by nearlycossack, on Flickr
    A sad Triumph GT6 in London's East End.

8551459848_3e59c71207_b.
    P1050597.jpg by nearlycossack, on Flickr
    A London Routemaster and something more recent near Farthing Downs in Surrey.

• Like Like x 5
  4. entropic remnants

entropic remnants SC All-Pro

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    I work in a steel mill that melts scrap to make new steel... and yet have very few photos of the scrap, lol! I had to go digging to find these. In the first shot, engine 104 was being cut up for scrap after years of hard use. When it comes to iron bearing metal, we waste NOTHING.

3972622283_734b7b79d2_z.
    Scrap Cars by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

4672607144_920c36c09e_z.
    Nikon 50mm F1.4 AF Test (3 of 3): Scrapyard Railroad by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

An old film shot (not very good) of a scrap car. When they are finally broken down from the overloads and abuse, we scrap them and melt them also!

4305927623_0c0a7202c5_z.
    Industrial Neopan: Car S044 by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

• Like Like x 5
  5. pictogramax

pictogramax SC Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Belgrade, Serbia
    • Like Like x 5
  6. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    I have several pictures of old history, scrapped equipment, etc., scattered through my thousands of files. But hate the PP necessary to prep for posting. So they just take up hard drive and box space.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Some very nice stuff here. A friend reminded me it was the kind of stuff he loved exploring as a kid -- me too, and I still love exploring it. Finding a wreck in the middle of the woods is like nothing else. I've found a couple of remains of homesteads in the mountains -- nothing left, really, except a couple of concrete steps here, an ice box there. Quite moving in its way.

John: I disagree about the scrap car shot. I think it's nicely framed and tonally right on the money.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    Lawrence, firstly nice topic. You know that salvage is both a verb and a noun, so lets make this a bit harder and find some representations of the verb. I do like the piles and agree 100% on John's scrape car shot. I was about to keyboard that I don't shoot junk, so haven't any images when I remembered this:

[​IMG]
    Film, (not a digital compact). Part of an old feed lot in the process of being dismantled.

Gary

• Like Like x 5
  9. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Well thanks fellows but I didn't get quite the shot I wanted, lol. But I'm glad it worked.

If we extend it to stuff that was EVENTUALLY scrapped, then some of my urbex stuff of torn down equipment (before it was torn down) comes into play -- but I thought that might be beyond the scope of the topic?

10. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    Ultimately, everything will decay. I think salvage refers to either the process of dismantling and/or the material left after that process (as opposed to demolition). But this is Lawrence's thread it's his call.

Gary

PS- I would mind an Urban Decay thread.
    G

• Like Like x 3
  11. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I guess I had in mind anything that was coming apart, decaying. I don't feel any proprietary rights over the thread. Wherever people take it will undoubtedly be interesting.

Nice shot, Gary. I love that pure white, diagonal shaft of light.

• Like Like x 1
  12. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Well, if it can be taken with any camera and not just a compact, then I have these. I already posted a bunch taken with the LX7 in another thread and I won't repeat them here. I'm going to limit myself to just eight of my favorites ... I have a HUGE body of work in this genre and it could get ugly if I get carried away, lol...

3835215422_b7d3c11f49_z.
    Left Behind by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

4895875731_b3f10259f4_z.
    There's No Pressure (new edit) by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

3 this one on Fuji Velvia slide film
    4280931516_ea4f843297_z.
    Velvia Slide Scans: Do Over... by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

3942177767_37c3092e07_z.
    In Case of Eternity, Break Glass by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Fishing for Cast Iron Fish Underground by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

5356426738_11cb4db885_z.
    Leftovers: Rustsolvo Redeux by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

4955159711_e4daa7cc03_z.
    The Persistence of Memory: Machinery of Desire by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Reboot: It's in the Pipeline by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Not sure if they are my "best" but they'll do, lol. I like them all for one reason or another.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Wonderful John, just wonderful. I especially like "In Case of Eternity, Break Glass" . The selective focus (but with nothing really too OUT of focus) give a three dimensional sense to it. Lovely.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ajramirez

ajramirez SC All-Pro

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    • Like Like x 5
  15. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry

16. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    THANKS!!!

My painting friends often say that's their favorite as it looks like a painting to them.

This is a good case of why sharpness can be overrated. It was very dark in that building, I had no tripod and was shooting a 50mm field of view lens at f/1.8 totally unstabilized. This was the best shot I got but it's not *really* sharp for that camera/lens combination.

But it works. Hence: sharpness can be overrated. Would it have been better sharper? Maybe. But that's not what I got, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  17. pictogramax

pictogramax SC Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Belgrade, Serbia
    3, 4 and 7 for me, Entropic.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    The colors of the metal in "Fishing for Cast Iron...."are wonderful.

The other looks sharp in the middle, or sharp enough that it draws your eye. It works well.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Same salvage yard, but a more recent trip -- with the Sigma DP2S. A nice camera -- but -- I WANT A MERRILL!!

SDIM0297-Cropped%20copy%20Edit-L.

LR%20distoration-0295-L.

SDIM0276-Edit-Edit-L.

• Like Like x 1