Sameple shots with the 50/1.1 Nokton on the M8

Discussion in 'Leica M Forum' started by Brian, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Brian

Brian SC Top Veteran S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    I picked up two new lenses, rare for me. I tend to use older lenses.

But, I also like "fast". I replaced the Canon 50/1.2 with a Voigtlander Nokton 50/1.1. I optimized it myself for use on the Leica M8, built up the RF Cam by 0.05mm. There is a difference between film and digital at these large apertures. F1.5- you are generally Okay. F1.2 and faster, not uncommon.

Images are here, shot at F1.1 and F4.

Nokton 50/1.1 on the Leica M8 - SeriousCompacts.com Gallery

Next up will be the Nokton 35/1.2. Also optimized by building up the RF cam by 0.05mm. Again, difference between film and digital.

2. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo! Subscribing Member

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    They are damn fine images!! Super sharp with a razor DOF, so thin!! The leaves on the floor really pop almost like 3D.

Can i ask. What is your opinion on Voigtlander lenses. They are bought by people who also buy new Zeiss and Leica glass but the price is usually less than half that of Zeiss. I really like the look of the 40mm f/1.4 M.C Nokton, very sharp and nice focal length.

My heart really loves the new range of Carl Zeiss glass. Images from those are absolutely spot on from corner to corner!

3. Brian

Jul 7, 2010
    I have three: an older 35/1.7 Ultron bought used, and the two new Noktons. I also have some 40 year old Pentax Screw Mount Cosinons: work fine!

I've thought of getting the 40/1.4 as well. The Bokeh is a bit harsh: comes with over-correction for spherical aberration, common on super-speed lenses. The 35/1.7 Ultron is Aspheric- smooths this out.

The Cosina lenses are great value for the money. Most of them have gone up in price on the used market after being discontinued. That says something!

The 35/1.2 and 50/1.1 are very smooth focus, well-machined, and nicely finished. The aperture mechanism feels like my type-2 Rigid (black, Wetzlar) 50/2 Summicron.

4. Ghosthunter

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    But for IQ are they up with Zeiss and Leica?

5. Brian

Jul 7, 2010
    Well, they look smart.

[​IMG]

Especially with the crackle paint job hood. Up with Zeiss and Leica: I have over thirty Leica lenses and dozens of classic Zeiss lenses. The Nokton is on my Leica M8 right now.

6. Ghosthunter

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    I'll take that as a yes then! :smile: